Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I have a 2010 Outback 2.5L with 156000 miles, and in the past week I have been experiencing a quick belt-squealing noise followed by a noticeable slip of the engine (almost like it slips into neutral) for a second when driving at highway speeds. I'm concerned that this might be the start of a more serious transmission issue, and I hope that I am wrong.

Has anyone experienced this issue or something similar? Was it transmission related or elsewhere?

I purchased this car used about 5 years ago with less that 20000 miles on it, and have only a handful of payments left on the car. I want to know what kind of cost I am looking at for repairs, should the transmission be failing on me. I have never towed with this car and 80% of the miles on the car are highway miles as I used to have to travel 60+ miles a day each way to work for a few years.

I have a close personal friend who is my mechanic, who has done all my work for me in the past. I'd like to avoid having to take it directly to Subaru to fix if at all possible to save on labor costs, but I understand if that's not always a possibility.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,319 Posts
Sounds to me like the CVT is going. Get it confirmed, dealer might be best if you plan on trying to get Subaru to help. If you need a replacement, search online for a used trans.

Unfortunately you're past mileage, but SOA extended the CVT warranty to 10 years. I'd still give them a call and see if they will help out. They know the early generation CVTs had engineering issues and have stepped up to the plate for others. And they can't really say anything about you not having the fluid replaced (assuming you did not) since their manual says nothing about replacement intervals....

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,144 Posts
Check your drive/accessory belt. There was a TSB about the crank pulley or belt glazing up and slipping. It manifests as a squeal and RPM slip. A few threads here about it also, many suspected the CVT since it can mask the symptoms in a similar fashion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check your drive/accessory belt. There was a TSB about the crank pulley or belt glazing up and slipping. It manifests as a squeal and RPM slip. A few threads here about it also, many suspected the CVT since it can mask the symptoms in a similar fashion.
I hope this is the case. As much as I'd like a new Outback, I'm not really excited about resetting my car payment right now.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Limited
989 Posts
Note that the updated warranty DOES apply to you too:

"A one year coverage period is available for all eligible vehicles listed above regardless of mileage and
warranty start date, and is effective now through July 31, 2018. For vehicles that are more than ten (10) years old or have more than one hundred thousand (100,000) miles, inspections or repairs under this one year coverage period must be completed on or before July 31, 2018."

So give SOA a call to log a case; record the a case number, and take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

"A one year coverage period is available for all eligible vehicles listed above regardless of mileage and
warranty start date, and is effective now through July 31, 2018. For vehicles that are more than ten (10) years old or have more than one hundred thousand (100,000) miles, inspections or repairs under this one year coverage period must be completed on or before July 31, 2018."

So give SOA a call to log a case; record the a case number, and take it to the dealer.
. Do you have a link to the original article or post for this?

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,319 Posts

. Do you have a link to the original article or post for this?
That's good news, I honestly did not read everything on this since Canada's branch is still not extending the warranty...

Read here: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/#/topics/429481

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE:

First off thank you for your help.

I took the Outback to my local dealer yesterday, explained the problem and showed them the TSB. Based on my explanation, they agreed it was probably the transmission was a possible cause, and would be covered under the TSB. Only one problem...in the 8 hours they had the car in their possession, the car never once chirped/squealed or slipped. So I am left back at square one, until I can get the car to them while it's slipping.

In hindsight, I am thinking the weather may have something to do with the occurrence of the issue. The issue started during a cold snap last week, and we've gotten back into the 50-60s again in mornings here in PA. I am hoping the weather changes over the next few weeks will make the issue more prevalent.

Either way, my time with my Gen 4 may be limited to June of 2018, as if the issue is still occurring for me at that point, I may as well part ways with it prior to the warranty extension expiring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cold mornings are definitely a factor. Issues were way worse this morning on my way to work, temps were in the mid 40s.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,444 Posts
It can be frustrating for both the owner and service rep to try to resolve a problem that doesn't consistently show itself.

But nowadays, most everyone has a very useful tool to help capture the symptoms to show the service rep. Try to setup a phone or video recorder to capture the dashboard and sounds when it happens. You can also narrate the temperature and other conditions to help set up the 'scene'. If it is the transmission slipping, the tachometer will race up with no increase (and possibly a decrease) in indicated vehicle speed. That should be coincident with the noise. This alone wouldnt' be enough for the service rep to diagnose the problem, but maybe will help point them in the right direction.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE: Issue confirmed

UPDATE

After two failed attempts by the dealer to find it on there own. I took a service tech on a ride-along, and hot **** if it reared it's ugly head. They investigated it and determined the issue was in the transmission somewhere, and turned to Subaru for replacement under the TSB and extended warranty. Subaru approved and the dealership is currently holding the car for parts. According the Service manager, Transmissions are backordered several weeks now, so who knows when I'll see the car.

In the meantime, the 2017 Touring Edition Outback has been easing my pain. Honestly don't even want my Gen 4 back.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Hey D glad Subaru is doing the right thing. Thats a big reason I bought another. You do big mileage be sure to have a drain fill every 60,000 miles on the cvt. Dont forget the front and rear diffs.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5i Premium
15 Posts
Thank you for posting this. I thought I had been going crazy. I live in PA, own a 2010 outback with 180K+miles. I have been having the exact same issues, chirp sound and a quick jump or fall in the RPM's. This started about 1 week before I did the timing belt and everything, so I thought it would definitely be taken care of. I changed timing belt, idlers, pulleys, water pump, radiator fluid, spark plugs, accessory belt, accessory belt idler and tension idler. Still the **** thing would squeal. I was convinced it was the transmission, luckily the letter for the extended trans warranty had come in, so I took it to the dealer for the stall check (passed) and told them about the squeal. They took it out and said it was the power steering pump. Who am I to contradict the mechanic. So, I took it home and put in a new one. No change. Uhhhh.. I figured that its something I would have to live with, with those miles its not worth the cost of a new transmission...?? maybe...

If they do fix it, please let me know exactly what the problem was and what they did to fix it. If you can find that out, I will most likely follow the same path you did and call up SOA and talk to them first, instead of going to the dealer and hearing the same thing again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts