Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5i Limited
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I know this is a widely discussed issue on the forums but I could not find one to match my particular issue. I have the means to do almost anything to my car except regularly test wheels and tires, that I have to go to a shop for.

Since I have owned this vehicle (2010 Outback) I have experienced steering wheel shimmy and vibration at highway speeds.

I have two different sets of wheels with brand new tires on both (snow tires and the all seasons). They are balanced and are in round. Wheels on the snows are brand new. The all season wheels are OEM and are in around according to the mechanic.

The shake is no different between the sets of wheels.

Had the car aligned, again no difference in the vibration. What are the steps I should take next? It is definitely not the tires, or the wheels.

I had a brake issue earlier this year, rear calipers seized up and warped one of my rotors (thanks to New York's wonderful new ice-melt sprayers). I ended up buying all new rotors and pads while cleaning out the calipers myself. Made no difference in the shimmy, but I thought I'd include that to eliminate the brakes from the cause.

Course I never really use the highway, but the fact that it shimmies and I can't figure it out is driving me up a wall. I have emailed SOA as well. Lets see what kind of response they send me this time.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
15,965 Posts
Rotor and/or wheel run out.

It takes a very long time, patience and very good data recording. Oh, and and old school dial indicator. No one is going to do this for you with charging a sh*t ton of $. Most don't have the patience for it. Just because of the amount of time. But, you could spend a full Saturday and do it yourself.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rotor and/or wheel run out.

It takes a very long time, patience and very good data recording. Oh, and and old school dial indicator. No one is going to do this for you with charging a sh*t ton of $. Most don't have the patience for it. Just because of the amount of time. But, you could spend a full Saturday and do it yourself.
The tires are definitely in round, I had a long fight with goodyear because they sent me two out of round tires from the gate. Got two new ones out of it though.

The rotors I didn't think of being run out.. Definitely possible though. I had them re-cut but that wouldn't fix a balance issue.. just the warping. Maybe I'll swap them in the spring. No sense doing it right before salting season.

My father might have a dial meter... phone call time.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
15,965 Posts
Tires being round or having rotors cut have nothing to do with run-out. Run out has to do with the orientation of the rotor on the hub and the orientation of the wheel on that rotor.

Sometimes rotating a rotor or wheel 1-2 or 3 lug holes will get you close if things are really bad. But, it involves taking measurements at 12 points on the rotor, in equal spacing. Fining the best orientation on the hub. Then doing the same thing with the rim, on the hub.

Google it.

Or, you have a bad hub bearing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tires being round or having rotors cut have nothing to do with run-out. Run out has to do with the orientation of the rotor on the hub and the orientation of the wheel on that rotor.

Sometimes rotating a rotor or wheel 1-2 or 3 lug holes will get you close if things are really bad. But, it involves taking measurements at 12 points on the rotor, in equal spacing. Fining the best orientation on the hub. Then doing the same thing with the rim, on the hub.

Google it.

Or, you have a bad hub bearing.
Gotcha.

My father has a dial, hes a former mechanic and offered to teach me. Hopefully I can get to working on that tomorrow or Monday. I'll make sure to post with my results! I hope its not the bearing.. I replaced the right front about a year ago and it was not as fun as I thought.

Thank you for your suggestions, I appreciate them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts