Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2010 Outback premium with the integrated blue tooth, iPod, navigation package, with steering wheel controls for the stereo and bluetooth phone. We know the navigation system is terrible. I'd like to upgrade to have HD radio available, but really need the blue tooth, iPod and steering wheel controls for the stereo and bluetooth phone. If I can upgrade to a better navigation system, that's fine, but if I have to keep the terrible nav system but can get everything else, I can accept that. Ideas? Do I just somewhere like Mobile One?

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
In most cases you can get everything you want from a variety of manufacturers. Kenwood, Sony, JVC, Pioneer, etc.. will make a radio with all of the features that you are looking for. You'll need a new harness to make the wiring work, a new dash kit as well as a steering wheel interface. I used an Axxess ASWC in my '12 with good success. I would stop by your local specialty stereo shop and see what they have to offer. When you get the install done the only things that you'll have to deal with is where do you want the new mic and where do you want the iPod cable ran to.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In most cases you can get everything you want from a variety of manufacturers. Kenwood, Sony, JVC, Pioneer, etc.. will make a radio with all of the features that you are looking for. You'll need a new harness to make the wiring work, a new dash kit as well as a steering wheel interface. I used an Axxess ASWC in my '12 with good success. I would stop by your local specialty stereo shop and see what they have to offer. When you get the install done the only things that you'll have to deal with is where do you want the new mic and where do you want the iPod cable ran to.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2011,premium,2.5
648 Posts
I use crutchfield I bought a pioneer avh-x3500bhs from them gave me everything but the steering wheel harness I bought it from crutchfield and spent only 18$ more then amazon because amazon does not warenty pioneer crutchfield also gives you a step by step to install on outback/legacy for head units,it has everything in this unit was really a one stop shop for me and my head unit

If I was you and have the money I would look into avh-x5500bhs it's a bigger screen and it might have a better fit meant then the 6 1/8 screen with the new cover you get from them just a heads up

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
I would recommend stopping by a local specialty shop (stay away from the big box stores) to give yourself a chance to get your hands on a unit to see how it functions in a board before you spend any money getting it installed. For the most part, I would recommend sticking with traditional brands (i.e. Kenwood, Sony, JVC, Clarion, Pioneer) since they will better support and generally a longer warranty period. Depending on your needs, the salesman at that store should be able to direct you into what they recommend that's suitable to you. In general, they will all offer similar functions at a given price point, it's the appearances or how the unit is navigated that changes. Depending on the trim that you have, you might be able to keep OEM funtions (like steering wheel controls, or aux input adapters) using aftermarket adapters.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts