Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 outback limited with 121,000 miles. When I fully turn the wheel either going forward or backwards, I get this constant bump feeling as if I am riding on a real rough road. I inspected the CV joints and all the boots look okay, no cracks or signs of leakage. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
Wow, you racked up the miles quick.

Do you have four identical tires on the car? Make, model, tread depth? You may be experiencing torque bind. This happens when excess stress is placed on the driveline, most commonly caused by mixed tires. Do you hear a grinding noise as well?

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
I have a 2010 outback limited with 121,000 miles. When I fully turn the wheel either going forward or backwards, I get this constant bump feeling as if I am riding on a real rough road. I inspected the CV joints and all the boots look okay, no cracks or signs of leakage. Any ideas?
Oh oh!

Sounds like "torque bind" and I think your the first I've seen for the gen 4 on here.

Do a search, you will find way more info than anyone can give you. If that's it come back and tell us. If it's not, we try hard to figure it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah I travel a bunch for work and have been using my personal vehicle for it. I do have the same tire on all wheels, and they do have about the same tread depth, there is a slight grinding sound. I have noticed that with the wheels fully turned going backward the bumping is more sever than fully turned going forward

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
tranny mount was broken
Wow serious? Awesome, and yet... odd. I guess it's good it was something cheap, but that is an odd thing to break. Did that fix the issue? An idea as to why it broke?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no clue how or why, no dent or ding to indicate it getting hit. looking for parts now, will let you guys know if the problem is fixed once I replace it

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
That's understandable. Body and frame flexing and broken mount equates to movement of the drivetrain.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts