Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, new to this forum but I'm here because you folks have a wealth of knowledge and I'm relatively clueless when it comes to automotive work. I've got a 2010 Forester I recently bought from a private seller that needs new axles. Both front CV boots are torn, the driver's side only has a slight tear but the passenger side boot is a mess and spitting grease everywhere.

I have some mechanic friends who are willing to do the work for me in replacing them (saving me about $1200 in the process--what I was quoted by a local shop), but I need to figure out which axles I should go with. Seeing lots of different listings on rockauto and other auto parts sites, and I've read here that some aftermarket axles are awful so I'm just trying to avoid making a poor choice.

As far as I can tell, the vehicle is classified as a "2.5X LTD" but I don't know enough about this to know if there are different axle types across different variants of the 2010 Forester. Some of these sites make it seem like any of these axles are interchangeable but some of them look drastically different and I obviously don't want to waste money on parts I can't use.

On Rock auto for example: 2010 SUBARU FORESTER 2.5L H4 CV Axle | RockAuto

What's the difference between standard and heavy duty? Are the 'heavy duty' axles for $80 that much better than the 'heavy duty' axles for $50?

I just want something that will be reliable, that isn't going to break again 3 months after they're installed. I'm happy to pay a higher price (within reason) if it means a longer lasting part.

Sorry for any stupid questions. I really am mostly clueless when it comes to cars so any help is appreciated.

EDIT: And now I just realized I posted this to the Outback forums and not the Forester forums. D'oh...

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,477 Posts
best value BY FAR is regreasing and rebooting you original axles or used OEM from car-part.com or maybe LKQ or lcal junk yard.

A local tuner likes the 'heavy duty' FEQ axles - they get them from worldpac. might be different than 'regular' FEQ as from amazon or elsewhere???

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
53 Posts
Every single “new” axle I’ve puT in in the last 6 years on any of my old vehicles have looked great but been crap. On Subarus, what you’ll notice is that when you are at a stop light in idle, the car will shake.

I fortunately saved my original ones, cleaned and regressed, new boots(and a new boot strap tool), and no shake. Sold the car 20K later and still quiet and going strong.

Subaru rebuilt axles are great, but expensive. No experience on Subaru third party rebuilt, but had great success with other rebuilt from other cars from auto parts places. Seems the new shiny ones in all the auto parts places are all crap, all made in China.

Raxles used to be a good rebuilder, but that was years ago. Might want to google them To see if their reputation is still good.

·
Registered
'17 Outback 2.5i Premium
136 Posts
The auto part store house brands are usually Cardone, and they're total crap; first pair from Advance failed in ~20 mi and the second NAPA "premium" lasted all of 200 mi. Get Subaru reman or used - new Subaru axles are just too **** expensive. Once upon a time there was a reliable 3rd-party brand, but it was bought by Chinese interests and went to crap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts