Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, purchased a used Subaru Forester from dealership and it came with one key. I didn't push harder for a key (and should have) and now I realize there is a considerable expense for getting a laser cut key blank ($130) plus labor involved with programming the car to the new key. Buying a 2nd remote for cases of locking the keys in the car as a temporary backup does not save much money as the remote is also $130 and requires matching remote to the car, so that's another labor fee from Service.

This is all very disheartening, so unless anything I've described above sounds wrong - I'd sure love to hear if it really will cost $200 just to have another access provided to my new/used Subaru.

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT
1,602 Posts
You purchased used. What you got was probabply what they got when the car was traded in. New, the car would have come with three keys (2 master and one valet). They have no obligation to give you another key.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,370 Posts
They have no obligation, true, but it could have been something the OP negotiated at the time of purchase.

That being said, you've got the car now and only have one key. Car keys are pretty high tech these days, it's going to cost $$ to get a new one matched to your vehicle.

The days are gone of buying a blank and having it cut to match your old key.

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
Take your car and key to a key shop - I had a duplicate key made for my '07 OB at Ace Hardware. They have a reader that will clone the coding to the new key. Cost was about US$80, I think, and that included the key. It was NOT a remote - just a coded key. Make sure your car is present since you will need to test the new key to make sure it's functional.

If you want the fob type with buttons, you don't have any choices except the dealer, to the best of my knowledge.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for feedback. (Yes, being a used car I recognize I get only what the dealer was given at time of trade-in.) I tried to negotiate a new Owner's Manual, a 2nd key, and a tuneau (sp?) cover - I was promised the manual, but I was given a choice (the key, or the cover), and I now recognize I picked wrong...or that I should have pushed much harder for a 2nd key.

I will attempt an Ace Hardware resolution John, thank you for the tip! Hopefully that could work but I'll remain cautiously optimistic.

Now to hunt down a severe interior rattle behind the passenger rear door. :28:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts