Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Subaru Outback 2010 2.5L
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My 2010 Outback is ready for it's timing belt change. I would like to buy the kit online but I'm unsure of which kit to buy. I was looking at one kit, but when I looked at the reviews, people were saying, "Many of the parts, in the kit, are made in china." So, people where suggesting to stay away from the kits with Made In China bits.

Can someone recommend a Timing Belt/Water Pump kit that is 100" Japanese or as good? Hope this question isn't to Noobish, but that's why I'm here asking for help from seasoned Subaru people. :smile2:

Will

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,305 Posts
If Aisin makes a kit for your year, I'd go with that.

Reactions: miker104

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i, 2009 Forrester 2.5 sohc
606 Posts
If paying a little more is ok, you can't go wrong with assembling a kit from one of the online dealers or your local dealer. Subaru doesn't have a "kit" you have to piece all the parts together. You only do it once every 105K, 5 or 6 years, IMHO its worth it.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
I bought a Gates kit for my 2000 several years ago and I guess it is still running fine. I sold it to @Brucey, who sold it to a friend. Hey Brucey, check the records I gave you. Little Red may be due for a new timing belt. :)

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,578 Posts
The parts sources can change at the drop of a hat, unfortunately. Aisin was using exclusively Japan-sourced parts for the longest time, but few kit's I've purchased have found non-Koyo or non-NSK bearings.

I've found Dayco still uses an NTN bearing it the tensioner, and Koyo in most of the idlers. The belt is still Mitsuboshi, I believe, but you'd probably have to go with Aisin or Subaru OE to get one of those.

I've run Dayco belts for YEARS (and a combined 500k+ miles) and I've never had a problem or seen any early deterioration issues yet.

·
Registered
606 Posts
When you do the timing belt can you post how hard it was to get the crank pully off? My 09 will need a timing belt in about a year.

·
Registered
Subaru Outback 2010 2.5L
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you do the timing belt can you post how hard it was to get the crank pully off? My 09 will need a timing belt in about a year.

Sure! :grin2:
My buddy will be helping me, he's trained as a mechanic and has many of the necessary tools, knowledge and experience, so you've have to take that into account. :wink2:

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback PZEV,2010 Impreza 2.5i
538 Posts
If your 09 has a similar crank pulley as my 08, then, it is a bit hard. I made a holding tool using lumber and 5/8" bolts and that tool worked pretty well. I also had to use a long breaker bar to loosen the crank bolt.

Once you get the crank bolt, unless you are removing camshaft pullies, everything else is pretty easy.

·
Registered
606 Posts
If your 09 has a similar crank pulley as my 08, then, it is a bit hard. I made a holding tool using lumber and 5/8" bolts and that tool worked pretty well. I also had to use a long breaker bar to loosen the crank bolt.

Once you get the crank bolt, unless you are removing camshaft pullies, everything else is pretty easy.
Priyadar did the crank pulley come off reasonably easy?

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback PZEV,2010 Impreza 2.5i
538 Posts
Priyadar did the crank pulley come off reasonably easy?
Yes. The hard part was to loosen the crank bolt which I did with my special tool and a long breaker bar. When the setup was sturdy and steady, the bolt was loosen in 1/4 to 1/2 a turn. Then I could simply turn the bolt even by hand.

Once the crank bolt was out, the pulley came off without any friction. (It was just loose).

The above is assuming you have the exact same pulley as my 2008. Now, for OP, his crankshaft pulley may be slightly different with 4 smaller holes in the middle. If that is the case, making a special tool to hold that pulley could be a bit more tricky.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
966 Posts
You could also buy one of these for $25-$40:

Lisle 38220

For the Outback, I just anchored the old (intact) belt to hold the camshaft pulley in place and used a breaker bar to loosen the bolt but I later bought the tool for another TB job (PT Cruiser) that wouldn't allow me to anchor the crankshaft pulley the same way.

This tool is great for removing the crankshaft oil seals which ought to be replaced while you're doing the TB job.

Lisle 58430

·
Registered
1 Posts
Best Timing Belt Kit

We buy all of our timing belt kits from timingbeltkit dot com. Genuine Japanese parts, complete kits, reasonably priced, and free shipping. You can find your kit here: timingbeltkit dot com/products/timing-belt-kit-subaru-impreza-2008-2011-non-turbo-2-5l

1 - 14 of 14 Posts