Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been to the dealership 5 times since the end of December and had an O2 sensor replaced the last one. Car is completely stalling, RPMs jumping around and hesitations, and is almost impossible to restart after getting fuel.

Anybody else had this? I'm headed back to the dealer tomorrow and since I'm at 52k miles I'm out of warranty, the O2 sensor (which wasn't the fix apparently) came out of my pocket. Just looking for ideas as to what anybody else might have seen.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,815 Posts
When you fill up the fuel tank, it is difficult to start?

P0171 is system too lean. Not enough fuel or a vacuum leak after the MAF.

If the dealer diagnosed a bad AF sensor and it did not repair the issue, then they owe you a freeby diagnostic. Call and talk to the manager and see what they will do.

·
Premium Member
15,815 Posts
You need to have the fuel pump checked. Someone needs to pull the EVAP canister and see if its full of gasoline and check the overflow tube.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need to have the fuel pump checked. Someone needs to pull the EVAP canister and see if its full of gasoline and check the overflow tube.
Awesome, thanks for the info. It seems like they always want to brush me off and go check the CEL code instead of listening to my concerns. This is good ammo for tomorrow.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Been to the dealership 5 times since the end of December and had an O2 sensor replaced the last one. Car is completely stalling, RPMs jumping around and hesitations, and is almost impossible to restart after getting fuel.

Anybody else had this? I'm headed back to the dealer tomorrow and since I'm at 52k miles I'm out of warranty, the O2 sensor (which wasn't the fix apparently) came out of my pocket. Just looking for ideas as to what anybody else might have seen.

Based on your state it might be covered under your emissions warranty. Check.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: Just got back from the dealership, they tested the usual suspects (mass airflow, fuel trims). Said the fuel trims were leaned out to their maximum position. Airflow sensor was fine. Started to check for vacuum leaks (wish they would have finished) and found the air inlet boot clamp to be loose. Tightened that and sent me on my way. Have to admit, I'm still skeptical.

I went straight to the gas station, filled up, and it started right up. Drove it on the highway and some back roads on the way home and didn't have any stuttering or idling issues. I had seen some similar issues years ago with an old Pontiac and was able to find the loose culprit then, but looking at the Outback I never saw anything out of the ordinary.

So, we'll see. An air issue makes sense with how it ran but after 5 dealer visits I can be nothing but skeptical.

·
Premium Member
15,815 Posts
Go figure.

Not surprising given they replaced the AF sensor that wasn't the problem. I will say that if there was a loose connection after the MAF, they probably made it the first go round.

Fuel, Air, Fire in the proper mix and timing is needed for complete and accurate combustion.

Somewhere in the chain of events that operate the system to achieve the perfect mix, you have too much air and not enough fuel.

I would suggest printing out the following and handing it to the service manager for reference. Maybe they don't have access to a flow chart to help them when they have no idea where to go to look for the issue.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts