Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Sorry if this is a repost, I didn't see anything posted for a 2011 2.5.

Noticed the coolant level in the reservoir was very low, below the lower limit. Additionally, there was some residue on the inside of the tank, I've attached pictures of this.

Of course, I'm concerned about this being a possible head gasket issue. The car only has 24000 miles. Besides the residue, the fact that there is almost no coolant left in the reservoir tank is also concerning.

I have never had the need to add engine oil so far, nor have I have seen telltale signs of coolant on the oil dipstick.

It's going in to the dealer tomorrow morning to get checked, any thoughts, suggestions, or recommendations?

Really hoping this is a non-issue being a less than 2 year old vehicle with 24k on the odo.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Carbide Gray Limited with Moonroof, Nav, and Eyesight
906 Posts
My guess is it is some sort of water pump lubricant and sealer normally added. Please post what the Dealer says, I haven't looked in mine for a while, but do not remember anything like that. Hope everything is good!

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,612 Posts
eh, doesn't seem like a lot, but the rad cap's overflow 'button' is small.

I'd be tempted to try to flush the o'flow tank out, cut the bottom of its tube at an angle so it never rests flush on the bottom, and then install a new rad cap. At least closely inspect the cap.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New problem

Hi All,

Update to this post, dealer flushed and filled radiator/overflow tank last year. Never was able to fully explain what that stuff was.

Now at 44,000 miles, It seems I still have a problem. Started hearing a water sloshing sound inside the car near where the heater core is. After the car cooled down, I popped open the hood, could not see coolant in the radiator and the overflow tank was dry. Based on this, I would presume the sound I was hearing was a mixture of air and coolant flowing through the hoses to/from the heater core. I have no idea how much coolant was left in the radiator, no warning lights indicated any problem.

Clearly this thing is leaking engine coolant somewhere, dealer has had the car for a few days and has done the following that I know of:
1. Filled up radiator and overflow tank
2. Confirmed that the system is pressurized and is holding pressure
3. Believes it might have been an overheating problem, but don't know why or where
4. Driven the car and have been unable to replicate the overheating suspicion and doesn't appear to be leaking fluid.
5. Said the radiator cap appears fine

I've asked if it could be a head gasket issue, they claim no evidence of that. I've also asked if there could be an obstruction in the engine block or in one of the hoses - not sure this would explain a loss of coolant however.

I'm at a loss - so is the dealer apparently. I plan on talking directly to the service manager tomorrow - I've always found him to be reasonable - but this isn't a confidence building experience.

Does anyone have an opinion if the original issue I had with the brown crap in the overflow tank could have anything to do with the coolant loss? Could this be a bad water pump? Anything else?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,322 Posts
The dealer overheating suspicion is from driving it dry.
Have you owned the car since new? The reservoir has a yellow cap, how often do you check it, what is the timeline from full to dry/empty?<O:p
Any coolant smell in the cabin? Any unusual residue in the tailpipe? What color is the coolant?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The dealer overheating suspicion is from driving it dry.
Have you owned the car since new? Yes, and I typcially watch this stuff closely.
The reservoir has a yellow cap, how often do you check it, what is the timeline from full to dry/empty? I check every other fill up or so while I am checking oil levels. The overflow tank was full just a few weeks ago, in that time went completely dry. <O:p
Any coolant smell in the cabin? No
Any unusual residue in the tailpipe? No unsual residue, no leakage of noticed on garage floor.
What color is the coolant? Blue - or at least was.
Thanks

·
Registered
15MY 2.5i w/ES
592 Posts
My 1st guess is that it's a Head Gasket leak. It's just not bad enough that it's noticeable. My 2nd guess, since it seems you're not aware of it over heating and it burping fluid out, is that you've got a pin hole leak somewhere.. Something so small that it's not noticeable, so the level drops over time.

BTW, the reason my 1st thought is because of your original pics. That brown could be oil contamination.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,322 Posts
So… The reservoir is dry in 6-8wks, no wet spots underneath.
‘dealer has had the car for a few days and has done the following that I know of…’ Um how about a chem dye and a UV light, even a monkey knows that. First suspect, eliminate the water pump.<O:p
<O:p
Take it to another dealer (or Ind).

·
Registered
98 OB Ltd
229 Posts
Well, you've been to the dealer with your concerns, so that should help if there is a big problem beyond the warranty.

I'd suggest keeping an eye - frequently - on the water level in the tank. I keep mine higher than the "cool" mark, because it's too hard to see down there. Even after heavy running and the engine regurgitating into the bottle, there's enough room to allow for a higher-than-recommended level (at least in my car).

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,612 Posts
pressure test might have shown a pinhole leak.

might be worth inspecting the plugs, if one looks a lot different, that cylinder might be burning coolant. Kinda wonder if a chemical analysis from Blackstone or Polaris of the oil and coolant might show any cross-contamination.

all the other fluids look OK? transmission shifting OK?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All good suggestions, thanks for everyone who replied. At this point they have had the car for a few days and cannot reproduce an overheating situation, nor have they found any leaks or coolant loss.

I'll be picking it up this evening - along with a gallon of Subaru coolant just in case - will closely monitor this over the coming weeks.

I'll post back here with an update one way or another.

Thanks again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts