Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2012 outback-2006 Impreza
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure most of you know, so I won't complain about the awful process to replace these. (I know the service dept. needs to eat too but this design was just ridiculous). On top of that they burn out pretty quickly, found out after my first set you're supposed to use the H7LL (long life), so will try that now but my next choice if these don't last is convert to LED.

Found one thread that talks about it but all links and pics were removed. Anyone try this? My concern is they run hot, they come with an outboard resistor to be installed which also runs hot, and all of it goes inside that little plastic dust-cover with no ventilation. They claim 55K hours life-cycle, which would be really great (if true)

Has anyone tried this, feedback, tips?
thx

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All the LEDs I've seen so far include a heat sink to keep them cool. The heat sink is too large to allow use of the dust cap, so dust, bugs and puddle splashes get into the buckets.

Great for indoor cars.
:grin2: LOL, thanks, that's funny. If the Osram's really last 500 hours I would be thrilled. The Sylvania's from Auto-zone were garbage though, maybe that was my problem. Their rating was 250 hours but I didn't get anywhere near that

There's also some info about the 2011-12 having voltage surge issues, if so then any life-cycle rating becomes meaningless:|

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yesterday I did a comparison with the $16. Auto-zone Sylvania bulb against the Wagner Long-life heavy duty bulb (which cost me $8. and were shipped for free). The Wagner has an extra chunk of glass-bead inside the bulb that locks the 2 filament-frames together and presumably reduces vibration and stress on the fragile element. Oddly enough, the Osram doesn't have this, and looks pretty much just like the Sylvania. We'll' see how the Wagners last, replacing the bulb really, really sucks

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts