Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Forum newbie here. I purchased a 2011 3.6R Premium in October of 2020 at 78K miles. Since then, I've done a lot to maintain the car (changed transmission fluid, 2 oil changes every 3,000 miles, throttle body was cleaned etc). However, ever since I've been going on long trips with friends or even just driving around, I noticed that timing is off quite a bit when I want to put my foot down and the car struggles. I know the 3.6r can boogie and my brothers 2016 3.6r has more noticeable get up and go but I'm really not sure why mine doesn't other than the fact it's older but still has low miles (85k miles). The Subi guy I go to said he may have heard "detonation" while we were driving around and that I should fill up with 93 from Shell for a few tanks and see if that helps. This is my third tank of 93 and i'm still getting some sluggishness with a slight increase in power from the higher octane fuel. What do you guys think?

-Dylan

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
2,489 Posts
I am wondering if your injectors are blocked and not working properly.

You could try a double dose of injector cleaner (Techron etc) to see if this makes a difference.

Seagrass

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,092 Posts
^^ What he said. Chevron's Techron is a great product. All of our vehicles get a 20-ounce bottle of it down the fuel filler hatch at every oil & filter change. I would try that as your next step.

·
Registered
'10 3.6R Outback Limited, 2zr swapped Toyota Yaris track toy, '12 Mazda3 skyactiv
730 Posts
Grab a scanner that can read live data and focus on fuel trims. That will help point you in the direction if it being fuel related or not.

Anything else is just a shot in the dark guess and may or may not help. Chances are if your lack of power is this noticable then it is a serious enough issue to be seek on live data.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i
2,851 Posts
1. inspect coils and plugs any rusty coils = hasta la vista baby
2. air filter
3. fuel injector cleaner
4. intake cleaner
5 Plugged cats?
6 PCV operating correctly
7. Fresh Transmission fluid?
8. Any brakes dragging
9. intake cleaner?

the 3.6L is VERY DOCILE at low RPM, you want it to move you gotta get it above 3.5K.. power comes on hard above 4K

PS: take all of your fat frienz out of your car lolololol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Grab a scanner that can read live data and focus on fuel trims. That will help point you in the direction if it being fuel related or not.

Anything else is just a shot in the dark guess and may or may not help. Chances are if your lack of power is this noticable then it is a serious enough issue to be seek on live data.
I did use one of the ones O'Reilly gives to customers and it gave me a P0094 "small leak in system leak" code but I couldn't clear it. I'll probably pick up a better one and see how that goes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2. air filter
3. fuel injector cleaner
4. intake cleaner
5 Plugged cats?
8. Any brakes dragging
9. intake cleaner?

the 3.6L is VERY DOCILE at low RPM, you want it to move you gotta get it above 3.5K.. power comes on hard above 4K

Air filter and transmission fluid were changed pretty recently by my family-owned Subi dealer. Brakes aren't dragging either. Can't say anything about the PCV, fuel, or intake though. I think I'll try cleaning the fuel injectors as my next step. I didn't know that it needs higher RPMs to really get going though. My last Subi was the 2011 Forester 2.5L so this engine is new to me. My brother's 2016 seems to boogie better than mine does though but he also has a lead foot. LOL yea I tell my friends they need to drop a few pounds before we go in road trips XD. I had some Bilstein B6 struts and King springs installed to accommodate them. ;)

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Premier w/206K miles.
69 Posts
2. air filter
3. fuel injector cleaner
4. intake cleaner
5 Plugged cats?
8. Any brakes dragging
9. intake cleaner?

Really? Mine seems to jump right off the line. I was surprised how much omph it has when starting off. Is mine an anomoly?

·
Registered
'10 Outback Ltd 3.6R '21 Outback Ltd XT Former '04 FXT
45 Posts
Really? Mine seems to jump right off the line. I was surprised how much omph it has when starting off. Is mine an anomoly?
Nope...my 3.6 has immediate response & pulls hard off the line with 0-60 times in the low 6's with no brake torque launches...

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,092 Posts
^^ Same here. My 3.6R remains fast and quick at just under 60,000 miles. Just one of the many reasons I purchased it in November 2015 at 25,500 miles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Good idea. I'll give that a go and see if that helps.
So I did some research on fuel system cleaners and it looks like the Techron is a little dissapointing when it comes to removing carbon deposits and giving the system a thorough cleaning. Apparently Seafoam or the Subaru fuel system cleaning kit is the way to go. But maybe the Techron is better with cleaning just the injectors. Can’t say for sure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don’t think yours is an anomaly. I think your engine is probably cleaner than mine is. My brother’s 2016 has a noticeable amount of more of oomph than mine. Mine was a Subaru “fleet” car before I bought it so it could be that because it was driven so slowly by them and because the gas in California is crap. It has decently low miles though (85k) so there’s no reason it shouldn’t be able to boogie.

·
Registered
69 Posts
yeah if you mash it it will go but keep it around 2K and it is pretty tame...
That's the thing, I don't mash it. I don't baby it either...I just drive it normally and it goes. I was impressed with its low end grunt.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don’t think yours is an anomaly. I think your engine is probably cleaner than mine is. My brother’s 2016 has a noticeable amount of more of oomph than mine. Mine was a Subaru “fleet” car before I bought it so it could be that because it was driven so slowly by them and because the gas in California is crap. It has decently low miles though (85k) so there’s no reason it shouldn’t be able to boogie.
I can't say if it is or not but it has 208K miles on it :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I wouldn't mess with higher octane gas. Put a full bottle of seafoam in the gas tank and see if that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts