Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2012, Outback, 2.5 Limited
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife was leaving work yesterday, and car wouldn't start. Called for a tow truck, and two truck driver, couldn't get in the parking garage, so tried to start the car, and floored the gas, when turning the ignition, and the car started.

Wife drove the car to the dealership, and they just did a diagnostic, and said that nothing is wrong with the car????? WTF? This car is less than three years old, won't start, and next time it won't start we'll tow back it in, and they will say the same thing? I'm a bit nervous that they are going to not do much to the car, until the warranty runs out (6 months, 6K miles), and then when something happens, it will be "it needs...".

Anyone have this problem the car won't start, and you have to step on the gas to get the car started (should never have to do that with a fuel injected engine).

The dealership said it wasn't worth the $$$ to look into condensation or water being in the fuel line, etc.

Any help/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
First off cool your jets - first 25K is industry wide called the honey moon period where any electronic bits and mechanical bits which might be flawed in some manner rise to the surface. The 36K warranty that most companies give you with the purchase is not a pie in the sky number they just thought sounded good. There is lots of research into picking that number.

My car has over 48K on it if you start to start it and stop too soon you can actually cause it to have a hard start simply because you have impacted the fuel vs starting sequence and didn't start it. Which case giving it a second then cranking till it starts is OK and should not hurt anything. 15-20 seconds of constant cranking won't hurt the car.

By the way the gas pedal is hooked to the computer and the computer tells the throttle what to do - pressing on the go pedal had zero impact on your starting effort.

Cool the jets - welcome to the world of electronics and advanced fuel systems in new cars. If you get some dash lights that light up then the computer has logged an actual event that the dealer can view and look into. If the car keeps doing this hard start start taking notes on what the conditions are when it happens. Then go to the dealer and tell them for example. When the car sat beyond X hours over night in below X temps - and we turn the key and let up on the key the second it catches - it dies. When we attempt to start it again we need to hold the key and crank it for several seconds before anything happens etc... This type of information will point the dealer in the right direction till then they are better to not alter the car from the factory specs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Subie,

Thanks for bringing me back to earth. I usually don't fly off the handle like this, and am still learning about Subaru's, much from this board and your posts. I want this car to be the end all be all, and maybe my expectations are a bit out of whack. I'll try and re-adjust and hope that if this happens again, we can give the dealership more information.

Does anyone use a fuel injector cleaner/gas additive?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
It is not that hard to fool any modern fuel injected car into a flooded engine situation, especially in really cold temps. Just pumping the gas, key on, before turning the key to start can throw it off.

Instruct your wife to start the car without touching the gas pedal......If it fails to start after 30 seconds of cranking, then (Without pumping) she should hold the pedal on the floor while cranking. Another 30 seconds should do it. If not, there truly is something wrong. Good luck.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
On a car that new I doubt you would necessarily need any kind of additive or injector cleaner.

Now in my case, my car is a 2004 with nearly 120K miles. I throw a small bottle of Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner & Upper Cylinder Lubricant in the gas tank at every oil change.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the great advice!!!!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Thanks for all the great advice!!!!
Don't use injector cleaner! This is actually mentioned in your owners Manual.

Technically speaking no North American car owner should ever need to use injector cleaner if they are using gas bought at gas stations that meet Gov mandated fuel specs to start with. The fuel cleaner BS is the biggest snake oil money scam going.

If I had an old beater and were running it in Africa where you sometimes purchase fuel off the back of a truck and not kidding use a T-shirt to filter it as it goes into your jerry jugs then maybe just maybe I would spring for some injector cleaner every few years.

The driver of our Diesel Land Cruiser in Tansania actually had two fuel filters in clear containers hooked to a set up that he ran the diesel through as it went into the trucks tank. This gave him a good idea how much water and other crap the fuel seller was trying to pawn off on the buyers. Also kept most of it out of the trucks fuel system.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Calling it snake oil is a little extreme. There are numerous documented cases all over the web where a little injector cleaner helped cure a fueling issue. An extra $3 per oil change won't make or break me, honestly.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
SE -- your car is how old? Which case who knows what little old car things are going on all having some level of impact on performance? $3 bottle is not what the stealers are selling more like $35 bottles which oddly enough its stated right in the owners manual not to use additives. The original poster has a new car you do not. So your take on it is very different and your reasons for it would be VERY different.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Right, I'm not debating whether or not it should be used on car that new... it shouldn't. But what I am debating is your statement that "No car in north america should ever need injector cleaner".

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Right, I'm not debating whether or not it should be used on car that new... it shouldn't. But what I am debating is your statement that "No car in north america should ever need injector cleaner".
Well if you understood the quality of fuel that must be sold at proper legal gas stations then yes you would understand this.

If you found a old OB parked in the barn for god knows how long with god knows what in the tank would a bottle of injector cleaner hurt anything? No - is it needed? Probably not given the drained and cleaned - fueled fuel tank with proper clean fuel is really what is needed for things to work. Will the injector cleaner do anything? Maybe but probably nothing big enough to notice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts