Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2011 2.5i Premium, 6 Speed
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I just hit 35k on my car in 11 months of driving. Lately I am noticing that 3rd gear has been a bit notchy at times. I am considering changing the fluid and wanted to see if anyone else has had similar shifting concerns around this mileage and can confirm a fluid change may help.

If so, what fluid works best? I used to run Royal Purple in some old cherokees I had with great success

Ed

·
Registered
'13 Outback 3.6R Limited
352 Posts
Ed,

First what does your owner's manual state? GL-4 or GL-5? Without a doubt I would recommend Subaru Extra S. If you want to use something other than Subaru brand fluids search for Uncle scotty's cocktail. Apparently Subaru manual trans are very picky\finiky about what fluids they use. Good luck! Eric.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium 6MT
546 Posts
Folks,

I just hit 35k on my car in 11 months of driving. Lately I am noticing that 3rd gear has been a bit notchy at times. I am considering changing the fluid and wanted to see if anyone else has had similar shifting concerns around this mileage and can confirm a fluid change may help.

If so, what fluid works best? I used to run Royal Purple in some old cherokees I had with great success

Ed
I changed mine to Redline 75/90 NS pretty early on. Seems to work fine.

·
Registered
2007 WRX Limited Wagon
26 Posts
Subaru manual transmissions are finicky about fluid because the AWD system is packaged inside the transmission and shares the same fluid, which must serve both hypoid gears and syncronizers. Hypoid gears require extreme-pressure additives, and syncros require additives which are compatible with yellow metal (brass) and have controlled friction, too slick doesn't work. Most Audi MTs have the same issues for the same reasons.

My understanding is the 6MT in the Outback is an evolution of the 5MT found in the Impreza/WRX (not the 6MT in the the STI). The "right" fluid for the 5MT has been a topic of great debate in the Impreza community for years. The consensus (to the extent it exists) is that Subaru's own "Extra-S" fluid is the best. I've used it in my WRX and can confirm it works well. I've also used it in my father's old Audi Allroad. The downside is it's only available in a 5-gal container. I bit the bullet and bought it.

Other Impreza owners use the "Uncle Scotty Cocktail" which is a mixture of 1qt Redline lightweight shockproof, 1qt Pennzoil or GM Synchromesh, 2qt Castrol HypoyC 80w-90. The problem with many fluids is they feel good for 10k miles or so, then get notchy again.

Maintenance FAQ:
Maintenance FAQ: Read if you have any maintenance questions - NASIOC

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
950 Posts
I changed to Amsoil Severe Gear @ 2400 miles, we will turn 45k miles today on the way home from work. I have no notchiness, grinding, noise, etc. in the trans at all. Took a look at the tranny dipstick for the first time since I changed the fluid this past sunday, and the fluid still is the same color in was the day I changed it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts