Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know this is a outback form but maybe y'all can help. I recently got a 2011 Forrester and the check engine light comes on slowly then blinks quickly while driving . From what I have read It seems like the green test plugs are connected. But I can't find them for the life of me. Thoughts?

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,383 Posts
*Forester.

The green connectors will do a lot more than what you're describing most often.

Get the code(s) read.

Also, they're under the glovebox.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank for the quick response. Do you have to remove the glove box? I have pulled back the carpet a bit and see a metal plate and one large connector, but nothing like the pics I have seen regarding the green plugs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2011 green test plugs

Codes are p1518, p0851, p1152, p1153, p0140. The dealer said they will replace a engine control computer, claiming there is a recall. I searched recalls and didn't really see anything to that degree. But I looked up those codes and if the computer is off I could see these codes popping up. The suv has only 85k miles on it so i cant imagine all these parts are bad.

·
Registered
19,528 Posts
Thank for the quick response. Do you have to remove the glove box? I have pulled back the carpet a bit and see a metal plate and one large connector, but nothing like the pics I have seen regarding the green plugs.
No need to remove glove box but might have to remove an "undercover" below the glove box (not sure if Forester has this.) See attached.

The test mode connectors are green. The connectors have two terminals, but only one wire goes to each.

I tend to doubt the connectors are attached (normally they should not be), and as was noted in a post earlier, if they were, then there would other signs when the ignition is turned to ON but the engine is not started. These include the CEL flashing, the radiator fans turning on and off, and various relays and solenoids activating periodically.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,528 Posts
Thanks for the post! I Can't see the pic though:/ I just put the key to ON and the fans turn on/off, all the lkights are on etc.
Attached thumbnail as jpg -- should be visible. (Added location of glove compartment.)

Be odd that the connectors are attached, but I guess it's possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2011 green test plugs

So im not sure if the 2011 has the test plugs. The car was rebuilt so maybe it is in a test mode somehow. Not sure what to do actually. Looked under the carpet and glove box and didn't see any plugs.

·
Registered
19,528 Posts
Rebuilt? To what extent? Would it have involved the wiring in/under the dash?

Where are you and is the Forester a North American market, LHD model?

As has been suggested, see if there are trouble codes. If the CEL is on, and even after it goes out -- as long as the battery hasn't been disconnected or the codes manually cleared -- they would be stored and should be readable if the CEL was on recently. (Use an OBDII code reader connected to the 16 pin diagnostic connector under the left side of the LHD dash.

·
Registered
19,528 Posts
I just put the key to ON and the fans turn on/off, all the lkights are on etc.
Missed this point -- exactly what lights are on and are they on steady or flashing?

When the key is turned to On but engine not started, and the radiator fans cycle on and off, does the CEL flash regularly?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
2011 green test plugs

Yeo, the plugs were together were found after oulled back the carpet more. But apparently since they were together for so long it fired the computer. Got the computer reflashed and now things are good. Now I need to fix the auto window. When going up it only moves about an inch.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,171 Posts
Yeo, the plugs were together were found after oulled back the carpet more. But apparently since they were together for so long it fired the computer. Got the computer reflashed and now things are good. Now I need to fix the auto window. When going up it only moves about an inch.
people ask about the windows going up a 1" at a time once a month here, ...regular stuff that just needs a reset. (search it up).

Reactions: Nobouncecap
1 - 14 of 14 Posts