Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to the Forum, have purchased many Subarus during last decade, is my first time owning an OB, it is a very clean car, one owner, 140k miles fully serviced, but it had the CVT issue in which it used to buck taking off from a stand still, much more noticeable in Auto mode, les noticeable on Manual mode, my course of action was as follows:
-Took the car to a shop to do a reset and relearn of the CVT, to no avail.
-Took the car to Subaru of Glendale to make sure the OB had the last software update, it did not, but after $160 they updated it.
-Bought a remanufactured Valve body, stayed up at my friends garage until 2 am, the valve body took care of the issue, OB drives and shift like a new car again.
I was ready for the next step which would have been replace the TC, but it was not necessary.

Hope this helps people that are going through the same.

Germansoutback

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6 , '12 OB 3.6 (Deceased MVA), '11 OB 2.5 , '11 Legacy 2.5
150 Posts
Yeh, when it comes to the Gen4 CVT, it is indeed usually the VB or the TC, and typically NOT the actual CVT. Glad you are back on the road. Thanks for posting :)

·
Registered
'03 Base OBW 5sp; '12 Outback Limited
61 Posts
Sooooooooo don't keep it a secret; where does one purchase a reman valve body? I would think there would be dozens of Subaru DIYers like myself who would love to save $700 over new from the online Subie parts dealers!!

I didn't realize they could be rebuilt. Does it matter what caused the failure? TC or Solenoid? How would you know other then trusting the remanufacturer?

·
Registered
'10 3.6R Outback Limited, 2zr swapped Toyota Yaris track toy, '05 AWD Pontiac Vibe
395 Posts
Sooooooooo don't keep it a secret; where does one purchase a reman valve body? I would think there would be dozens of Subaru DIYers like myself who would love to save $700 over new from the online Subie parts dealers!!

I didn't realize they could be rebuilt. Does it matter what caused the failure? TC or Solenoid? How would you know other then trusting the remanufacturer?
No kidding, this makes the dreaded VB failure a lot less of an issue for us DIYers who buy used cars. I wonder if these are available in NA or only across seas?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just went to EBAY, came across an ad that said remanufactured VB, they stated that it does have 1 year warranty and that they replaced and OHM all the solenoids, I replaced and Voila! the issue is completely gone, I drove it almost 700 miles so far without a single issue, but I was ready to change the TC if it was called for.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It's amazing what you can find on that marketplace!
I have a bit of insomnia this AM so I ventured down the CVT rabbit hole on the Auction site and I could find only one reman valve body for the TR690.. it was just over $600 with shipping from China. Uh, talk about a scary purchase! Plus, the "expedited" delivery is up to 3 weeks out. LOL! On the plus side Returns are accepted so there's that.

I also found lots of "master rebuild kits" that contained what seemed like dozens of friction plates and o rings but no solenoids or wiring harnesses. If you had the time and money to spare you could always try rebuilding one yourself. I hope there is a service manual available since I wouldn't want to go blind into that situation!
There is one used VB for sale for $275. No returns. At least the seller is upfront about the risks of purchasing a used VB in their description.
After my research, I just hope mine is the one that never fails!! If it does, at least I'll remember to check the listings first to see whats out there but more then likely will hit the online dealer stores. I found one, brand new, for $715 plus shipping. Only $100 bucks more than the China, Reman, wait 3 weeks one.

Time to try and sleep again. Night all.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,485 Posts

I have a guide on rebuilding yourself. If it is the solenoid on the valve body it's super easy to replace.

Only cost around $150 for the solenoid. I have one salvage one left if you want it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I appreciate the generosity Brucey but mine hasn't failed... yet! I reviewed your guide however, very thorough. I bookmarked the page for future use.
I just bought the 2012 Limited last week. It has 70k on the odometer so I might be 2-3 years away from the issue?
I'm going do the CVT fluid change in the next few weeks. maybe even double up on it but a week apart, which would probably get me pulling out about 60% of the original fluid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts