Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2011 2.5 Limited Cypress Green
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am looking for some help or advice on this one...

1.) I am a sales rep, and my trunk is filled with supplies.
2.) I have the HK Non-Nav System
3.) I replaced the headunit with the Pioneer AVH-P8400BH
4.) Therefore, under the passenger seat is my HK amp

What are my options for a subwoofer upgrade? Can I use the stock "subwoofer" location and gut it for a replacement speaker/amp combination? Can the HK amp be moved?

All thoughts and questions are welcome, thank you all!

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
With enough time and money anything is possible!! Using the stock location is a good idea, and you could try to upgrade the sub itself but if you are serious I would look into a dedicated amp, and a new sub in a better enclosure behind the factory panel.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
I would think your new Sub amp would need line level inputs. The signal is probably crossed over at the HK amp and sent line level to the rear Sub speaker.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I was thinking about disconnecting the current set up in the rear and replacing with an amp direct from my head unit and new sub in the stock location.

Has anyone done something similar?

What size is the stock "subwoofer"?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
I would start with taiguy's stero install thread. Lots of great pics in there.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium
515 Posts
If you're looking for a pretty easy to do option, you might want to think about getting an amplified bass tube from Bazooka. They are quite good. If you're often driving without more than one passenger in the rear, it could be laid on the rear seat's floor, pointing toward the door to load it. It could be made detachable if you need the space at times, and a second place to connect it could be set up in the rear hatch.

Unless you are VERY good at DIY, I'd strongly recommend a very competent car audio installer. I've been a high-end home A/V dealer for 15 years, and I've installed a high-end system in one of my old cars with, receiving kudos from an installer who once placed 5th in national competition, so I do say it with experience. Each car is different, and has it's own headaches and potential places to screw up. The learning curve can be very steep for DIY car audio.

Regards, Jeff

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
I think its an 8, and I would think that building a box for the side panel wouldn't be too bad. I haven't seen if the OEM enclosure is worth anything but it might be worth a try in the interim.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would start with taiguy's stero install thread. Lots of great pics in there.

Yep, great thread. I used it to install my very similar headunit. As I stated, I have the HK system, so I had to use the RCA wire harness instead. I also like his amp installation, which I would probably duplicate as well.

I see the other reply with the 8" size for the stock subwoofer, thank you all!

Has anyone used the stock location for an upgraded subwoofer set up? Again, I would disconnect the current subwoofer, and start with a fresh amp install from the headunit subwoofer RCA to the rear, but I would use the stock "subwoofer" location for a real 8" sub, amp in the foam organizer.

ANYONE DONE THIS!?

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,322 Posts
Are you using the HK amp for the AM head?<O:p</O:p
Take a look at what’s under the DS seat, that’s a better place for a mono/sub amp.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium
515 Posts
I saw a JL Audio under-seat sub box - perhaps w/ built-in amp - at a higher end auto stereo dealer. JL makes top-notch subs.

I'm not sure if under the seat will sound the best. It may be too close to your ears for the wave to propagate well. Bass frequency wavelengths are very long, and interact with spaces in some very tricky & seemingly peculiar ways, behaving very unlike the frequencies we naturally tend to hear. Standing waves, reflective waves, phase cancellation, pressure loading and more all play a part.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My car has the HK amp under the passenger's seat.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh come on, somebody has done this!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I am adding a Pioneer Slim Sub with 1600 watt amp to my current set-up. Slim profile box as well, and I am not removing the factory "sub" as it doesn't take up the outputs I need from my amp.

Will have more to report soon.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
932 Posts
I have a 2010 with the non-Nav H-K system, and haven't modified it. But I thought I'd chime in, since I've had to (temporarily) remove my sub-woofer before. This was because the little latch that holds in the gas filler door popped out of its holder at one point, and was dangling inside of the rear fender. To pop it back in I needed to pull back the interior panel that covers the sub speaker, and remove the sub speaker.

It's not really in an enclosure. The actual speaker is bolted into a metal bracket, which in turn bolts onto the inside of the fender. So the whole inside of the rear fender is essentially the "enclosure", but there's nothing like a real sealed (acoustic suspension) or ported enclosure. The speaker is basically on its own, so to speak....

I didn't remove the entire interior panel. To do what I needed to do, I just opened it up at the back end, and pulled it out enough to 1) remove the sub, and 2) have room to pop the gas filler door latch mechanism back in place. To completely remove the interior panel you need to remove part of the rear seat. But depending on how elaborate you want to get with the speaker, you may not have to do this.

Here's a link to my prior post describing the partial opening up of the panel, in case it's of any help (see post #9):

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...94-gas-filler-door-latch-release-problem.html

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You may get some wave cancellation if you have both subs running at the same time.

Nope, high pass filter on the headunit and low pass filter on the new sub's amp.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium
515 Posts
I'm a high-end audiophile equipment dealer - been in business for over 15 years - so I know a thing or two. www.value-audio.com

So, you're running the old sub with a HIGH-pass filter while you are running the new sub too? That driver is certainly not designed to sound good that way, as it's designed (though rather cheaply) to run sub frequencies.

Personally, if I had both subs connected, I'd first try both, then invert the electrical polarity one from the other, then disconnecting the stock sub. Play a wide range of music you like, and listen for what sounds better.

Sub waves are very long and propagate in peculiar ways. One sub may actual be acoustically (not necessarily electrically) out of phase with the other, perhaps just in certain frequency ranges. That means it may be sucking the sound out from the other sub.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So you're running the old sub with a HIGH-pass filter? That driver is certainly not designed to sound good that way.
HPF for all the other speakers,

LPF for the new amplifier and subwoofer only

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium
515 Posts
Are you still running the old sub along with the new? When you said you "left it in", I assumed that's what you meant - but perhaps you mean you just left the driver in place with the original sub disconnected.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts