Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, looking to get some input here on what to do.

We have a 2011 OB 2.5 limited with cvt and it stalls on occasion when coming to a stop. It's been happening more frequently now that it has been very hot and the car is running with the A/C on. It also has happened when in reverse.

We've taken it in to the dealer before and they updated the cvt software but it got worse since then and it also has the jolt when coming to a stop at around 20 mph. Now they claim that nothing is wrong with the vehicle.

Anybody else have this issue? If so, what was the solution? I feel like we should just dump it but I'm just amazed that a this car is such a lemon.

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,868 Posts
maybe take a service writer or tech for a ride and demo the problem?

I've always hated when a dealer said 'they are all like that'. Happened to me multiple times at a Ford dealership. Once, I pointed to another van and said "get the keys to that one and you can show me how it does the same thing." Another time I was really mad and said "if they all do this, then they are all broken and need to be fixed and you can start with mine." made my point each time.

(sometimes, they really do all have a problem, that same van had a problem with hard shifting after having the transmission replaced TWICE under warranty - I ended up just living with it. made sure I complained regularly so, if the tranny broke, there would be documentation)

You may need to get the SOA regional guy involved if you continue to get the brush-off.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
try a different dealer. shitsubishi is like that too, someone said ford, im sure all car stealerships for different manufacturers. sounds like a lemon to me...

·
Registered
2013 & 2014 Outback
278 Posts
Funny your should ask, Wife has a 2011 OB late production (june I think) We just took it in for our free oil change and when the wife told them about a shutter (goes below normal ldle, shutters and them goes back to normal idle) they told her these was a software update and that should fix the problem. We only did this yesterday so I dont know if it fixed it or not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestion guys. I'll try another dealer but I've already contacted subaru directly and they are giving me the run around so I'm not hopeful that any other dealer would be more helpful.

Papa smurf, if it is the update that I got then you might get mixed results. The dropping idle won't be fixed with the update. To make it worse, prior to the update, the car only stalled twice going in reverse. After, it started stalling in reverse and in drive. Also, at low speeds such as in a parking lot, the car will stumble at low rpm almost like a manual trans car with a bad driver.

Does anybody know if I can still lemon law the car? The dealer acknowledged the issue the first time but they won't this time. Doesn't the car have to be in 3 times and more than 30 days in the shop with the same problem? The car is a 2011 with 20K miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure of the manufacture date but we bought it in November 2010. No steering wheel shake amazingly.

·
Registered
2015 Limited Outback fully loaded
168 Posts
EDSMED: no way.... I JUST went to the dealer today with this same issue. they said they couldn't find anything.... hmmm. OF course as soon as i left, it did it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chris, I feel your pain buddy.

Call 1-800-subaru3 and ask for Chris. He's the subaru customer care agent that I'm dealing with. Let him know that you're having the same problems. At least they have to admit there are at least 2 owners with this crappy problem.

If Chris has the field rep Rich work with you, be sure to let me know so we can compare notes. So far they have put an offer to work something out on a new subaru :28:

·
Registered
168 Posts
ok sounds good. I'll give him a call today. It's a real issue. MY Father is a Master Mechanic for Subaru, Honda and Toyota. I called him after ( why didn't i call him before?!) and he said they are up in the night. He also said a few notes to consider:

Running any gas with ethanol ( "might contain 10% ethanol" on the pump )
+
hot temps
+
A/C blasting

Could result in this problem. The real fact is that the design is flawed. I just old my 2012 Kia Optima ( love it, but needed a lesser payment) and it had no issues what so ever.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your father in law makes sense. The stalling happened most frequently in the last month or so when it was 100+ degrees in st. louis, the A/C was full blast, and our 93 octane has 10% ethanol.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
The tach will dip when the engine is loaded, that’s normal.<O:p</O:p
To be clear for the forum… stall – the engine dies? If yes, then it shouldn’t do that although it may shudder some (but not ‘excessively’) if the load is heavy enough.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just to clarify, the engine will die as in engine turns off, I have to shift to park, turn key to start engine, shift back to drive, then hope I don't get hit by another car.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
And 'they claim that nothing is wrong with the vehicle'?
WT* part do they not understand!!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yes it's pretty ridiculous, considering all the issues they have had with the CVT. Recalls, and SB's i mean come on...

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i PZEV
21 Posts
Okay, I was about to say I have the same issue so glad you clarified it completely stalls out. There is nothing normal about that at all.

I have noticed when I come/am coming to a stop it will act like it is going to stall out, idle drops, then pops back up. Has done it since first week I've owned it, decided for myself it was part of the programming perhaps to save fuel somehow when braking.

I've run 100% gasoline almost every fill up since Sept. so don't let them convince you ethanol is to blame.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anybody had any resolutions or answers with this? I have a 2011 with 50,000 miles. My car has started to almost stall when I first put it in reverse and step on the gas quickly. It hasn't ever completely stalled. It's gotten worse. It is worse in my driveway that is on a hill. Not a steep hill, but a good incline. I picked up my mechanic today to try to duplicate it before I drop it off tonight. Of course it wouldn't do it. I suspect the incline makes the difference. We were in a level parking lot.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5
1 Posts
Did you ever get this stalling issue resolved? We have a 2010 with 98,000 miles. For the last year or so, the car would intermittently stall when exiting the garage [in reverse] or when approaching a stop or when leaving from a dead stop. The closest dealer is 90 miles away. First time they claimed it needed a software update. [that's plausible, since we purchased it from CarMax with 68,000 mile on it] That "fix" lasted 2 hours. 2nd time to dealer, it was suggested that the transmission needed to be serviced. So a $300 later the issue seemed to be resolved. [I would suggest on these CVT models that the fluid be changed as suggested in the manual] That "Fix" lasted about 2 weeks. Tired of driving and wasting a day at the dealership, we took car to a local mechanic and they found the problem to be the transmission itself. They were able to demonstrate it to the warranty adjuster and 3 weeks later it was replaced with a used transmission. We will pick it up this Friday and with crossed fingers hope it was a one time issue. The warranty company [CNA aka "Maxcare"] will cover the new 'used' replacement CVT for the duration of the warranty.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts