Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013 & 2014 Outback
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wondered if anyone else have had this question. The Owners Manual call for 5W-30 and say's they recommend Synthetic Oil. When we take it in for its Dealer supplied oil change they put conventional 5W-30 in. Then the service manager says to me they never put synthetic oil in a 2011 OB 2.5 engine.

I'm confused:confused:

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 Premium
723 Posts
Dealers try to maximize profit by using the cheapest oil they can get away with, not necessarily the oil that's best for your car. Of course, if you're paying the bill, the dealer will try to sell you the most expensive (highest profit) oil.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
Your car doesn't *require synthetic* so dino oil is fine.

If your really worried do what I did and get an oil analysis.
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/89-oil-fuel-discussion/45346-2-5-12-oil-analysis.html
^ what he said. The 2013's got the new ground up engines.

The 11 has the engine related to the family of 2.5's running back to 2003. I run 10-30w in my 2010. Fully within the subaru specs listed in the owners manual. I run 10-30W because thats what I ran in our prior 2.5 which had a long hard life of hauling us and trailers all over the west coast. ZERO oil or engine issues in 180K.

summer time I run synthetic for the California HEAT and long road trips we take. Winter time I often run standard 10-30W given our temps are mild and the car doesn't do much beyond semi rural trips. The Synthetic makes a big difference in keeping heat down and things cool during the hot summers and long road trips.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts