Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time reader/lurker,

We just got a new to us 2011 OB base model and want to add bluetooth but keep the stock look. Here is my idea: Buy a used premium radio (86201AJ64A OEM PE645U1) i think that this is the one with bluetooth. Find the correct steering wheel controls and wire the whole thing up. First I don't even know if the models have completely different harnesses or other complications that might happen upon during the process.

Has anyone done this before or know if it is even possible? Or possibly have a better idea.

The only other thing that I know of is blue connect. But the only way I am going to add blue connect is if someone has one for free or extremely cheap as we do mostly highway driving and I have heard that the volume isn't that loud.

I think that this could be a fun project but thought I should ask around before buying any components.

Thanks

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
Before you buy, make sure that the radio with the BT isn't a model that requires the outboard amp. If it doesn't require it, to make the steering wheel controls work you'll need to pull the existing wheel, remove and replace the clock spring with one that has the extra wiring, then make sure the body side of the steering wheel harness also has the wiring, and add it if it doesn't. It can be done, but it might be a better option to look into an aftermarket unit that has BT, and skip the steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the heads up on all the work that is involved in the process. I will have to find an aftermarket head unit that isn't super glitzy. If anyone knows of a model that looks more factory and less techno light show. I would be grateful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for the heads up on all the work that is involved in the process. I will have to find an aftermarket head unit that isn't super glitzy. If anyone knows of a model that looks more factory and less techno light show. I would be grateful.
Did you ever find something? I have the 2011 Legacy and am looking for the same thing as you but everything looks like a 90's light show. I just want something that matches the original but includes Bluetooth, maybe touch screen but I'm not picky.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts