Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time creeper here. I'm chasing a rattle in my 2011 OBW. I haven't been able to find a fix (or even the same sound) or on the Boards here, so I figured I'd try my first post and appeal to the Sub experts.

So 4th Gen. 2011 OBW 3.6. I've had it for 5 years.

I'm now getting a loud rattle only when the car is in gear, sub 1000 rpm. It grows louder with the AC on. Vanishes in Park/Neutral. Sound link:

The sound is coming from the front centre/passenger side of the engine bay - feels like the alternator/ power steering pump area. The noise is most noticeable upon starting (after putting the car in gear - regardless of warm up / idle time) and at stoplights. Every stoplight. Above 1000 rpm it either goes away or the car drowns it out completely.

I'm planning to swap the power steering pump next. Figured I'd appeal for help or ideas first.

Issues addressed:
  • I saw the heat shield suggestion/issue. That's not it.
  • 6 months ago the pulleys (incl. tensioner pulley) and belt were replaced with new OEM (Jan 2020)
  • The sound seemed to be coming from the Alternator, so I replaced that last week.
Unfortunately, the sound persists after all that.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,304 Posts
honestly I could not hear anything can you get the video from outside the car with the hood open?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
honestly I could not hear anything can you get the video from outside the car with the hood open?
That same loud rattle in gear or on P/N with AC on blast. It feels like it's coming from the Power Steering pump - slight movement in the pulley.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,304 Posts
take belt off and turn all accessories by hand...should be able to narrow it down from there

1 - 5 of 5 Posts