Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited Deep Indigo Pearl Moonroof, Navigation and EyeSight System, Wheel Arch Moldings
21 Posts
You might be interested in the following out of Wikipedia.

Electric Superchargers as a Scam
It is worth noting here that the Internet is flush with fraudsters selling "electric superchargers" for just about anything with an engine through baseless claims and outright lies. .[3] Consumers should be extremely cautious when considering such things to ensure they understand the fundamentals of what is being offered and to recognize when they are being misled. Most low cost systems marketed as electric superchargers are not. In simpler terms, the typical inexpensive electric supercharger will not increase the horsepower of an automobile due to the inability of a small fan to produce positive pressure at the necessary CFM. :confused:

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
This is my fourth Subaru. And this badboy is just a little too heavy for a 170 HP engine. I need more power and speed on my commute for low gear high RPM situations.

I found this.

Seems too good to be true. Thoughts? I am willing to pay up to $1500 for a system to give significant improvement.

Thoughts?
If it was that easy to add 25% torque, you'd think car manufactures would do those kinds of things.

It's a scam.

The Gen4 Turbo charger thing was discussed here. The consensus was the combination of the belt on the 2.5 and the CVT itself would not likely handle the added torque. All theory. No one was willing to try it yet.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,439 Posts
Scale scam. The theory is valid but the product is woefully undersized relative to actually achieving stated goals. They are talking highway snowplow and shipping a keychain ice scraper.

Electric supercharging is a great theory- the benefits of forced induction plus the benefits of electronic control in one package.

The cold monday morning reality is that an electric motor capable of delivering the airflow required by your engine is going to be very big, heavy & expensive by itself. It would likely also require a larger battery to support it. That's to say nothing of tuning the engine to accommodate the air once you have it.

Someday we will likely have lightweight, compact electric motors good enough to make this a reality, but for right now it's much cheaper and simpler to get results from traditional belt drive superchargers or exhaust-gas-driven turbos.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,324 Posts
Your most cost effective way to get more power is trade it for an H6. There is no way to get much more out of these engines without huge investments and lots of warranty voiding and trouble shooting.

·
Registered
03 Outback H6 base
252 Posts
Looks restrictive to me! No matter how fast it spins:19:

You called it: "If it sounds too good to be true".... Thanks for trying, we all want more power!

·
Registered
2003 Outback Limited 2.5L H4 5MT Regatta Red Pearl w/ lift and audio system
1,255 Posts
Terrible that people sell **** like that. Raw materials and manufacturing power is being wasted on **** that is completely useless.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
There are several ways to get good power from a Subaru.

You buy into an XT, WRX or STI. All the parts and programming are already there and it's covered by a warranty if its new.

You can customize the build yourself either upgrading an existing turbo system with a larger turbo, combining a small supercharger with the turbo (kills the lag and creates a little more kick), or custom build from a baseline engine. Either of these requires rewriting the ECM along with adding all the parts in order for the system to function properly.

Plenty of FAI systems have been added or updated to Subarus for years. There are hundreds of people all over the world that know every line of data in the GEN 3 up and can alter the mapping. Gen 2, I only know one guy who can do it now.

Custom builds are a lot of work and not just in putting the parts together. I spent 8 months just in preparation doing calculations, parts availability, cost, effectiveness, redesigning the engine compartment, electrical and programming. Finding the Programmer to take it on took 3 months. (Thanks Ed)

It can be costly. Some people have done it on the cheap. My motto, If you can't do it right, don't do it at all.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
I always like watching them. Wasn't expecting the v-leaf contraption. I was looking for a large fan in the back of the car.

I can't believe he smoked the tire. Guess they can chalk another up to the v-leaf system.

·
Registered
1998 Legacy Outback 5MT(engine pooped), 1999 Legacy outback 5MT(new baby)
113 Posts
I was literally just about to post that mighty mods vid.......someone beat me to it lol. Quality entertainment right there. I had posted it before in another thread, lots of people got very mad that they weren't testing things properly,( i think it was the cold air intake one) and said it was dumb.............Good humor is totally lost on some people.I find the show pretty informative. I thought this was pretty cool.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts