Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i; 2017 Outback Touring 2.5
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2011 Outback 2.5i, with 49,000 miles on it, that exhibits front-end shaking above 65MPH, and becomes pronounced at 75MPH. I purchased it at a Subaru dealer last September, after it went through its inspection process. We had a 30-day warranty, but never took it on the highway or speeds above 55MPH. The first time we hit the interstate, we noticed the shaking. I have had the front-end aligned twice, inspected for front-end vibrations, and I just had a new set of Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires installed. The vibrations persist. The vibrations seem to abate slightly when applying the brakes, but immediately return when the brakes are released. There are no brake pulsations. The wheel hubs do not seem to be making any noise at all, nor do they change state when turning.

The dealer states that all recalls and TSBs were performed on the vehicle, which I assume includes some steering and control issue. I do notice one thing, when I back out of the driveway, while turning, as the car drops off the threshold onto the asphalt road, there is a little wobbly clunk, which might be the LCA bushings. Also, as a possibly unrelated matter, the car feels a little light around corners, where it seems to indicate it could drift easily when driving on off-ramps and while taking curves on the highway.

I have seen posts where Legacy owners mention things such as front sway bar bushings causing harmonic vibrations, ball joints, drive shafts, wheel hubs and lower control arms bushings being bad--which is pretty much the major wearable replaceables on a front-end. I am new to the Subie family and I am not familiar with their individual nuances yet.

Had anyone experienced similar traits with their OB, or does know how to best resolve this issue?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Did you have costco do the tire install? I quit going there after having lots of issues with both the tires they sold Michelins and wrong weight placement causing vibration.

It was America’s tire store that figured out two things. Totally wrong weight placement for the balancing which reduced the vibration then they also noted a out of round tire costco replaced three tires before they found one that was round!!

Today I only go to Americas tire and have had zero issues with 4 cars and a trailer sitting on their tires.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
928 Posts
I concur - Discount Tire / America's Tire is the only place to go. And always ask for their Hunter Road Force Balance process. It makes a world of difference for many vehicles that are very sensitive to getting the correct balancing process (like my wife's 2006 Jaguar XK8 convertible).

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx Edition XT
1,955 Posts
I had a shaking issue on my car a few years back and did a "Road Force Balance" at the dealership. It was about double the price of a regular balancing, but the shaking went away and the car drove (and continues to drive) like a dream.

I think it was around $100 total, after I used a $20 discount coupon I found from a competitor that the dealer service department honored.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you have costco do the tire install? I quit going there after having lots of issues with both the tires they sold Michelins and wrong weight placement causing vibration.

It was America’s tire store that figured out two things. Totally wrong weight placement for the balancing which reduced the vibration then they also noted a out of round tire costco replaced three tires before they found one that was round!!

Today I only go to Americas tire and have had zero issues with 4 cars and a trailer sitting on their tires.
The vibration happened with the dealer balanced Continentals, and now with the Tire Rack Michelins, that were manufactured two months ago, and mounted by ASAP Tires, which has a 4.7/5 Star rating at Tire Rack. They came to the house and mounted and balanced all four tires for $60. Very professional. With the Contis, I had PepBoys rebalance them, and they said they were good, so it appears to be something besides the tires and wheels.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I concur - Discount Tire / America's Tire is the only place to go. And always ask for their Hunter Road Force Balance process. It makes a world of difference for many vehicles that are very sensitive to getting the correct balancing process (like my wife's 2006 Jaguar XK8 convertible).
Thanks! I'll have to check into that.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I have never come across a dealer with the ability to balance tires. Except for a massive Ford dealer. If you find a Subaru dealer with a tire balancing machine buy a lottery ticket.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
928 Posts
The manager of the Discount Tire store that I have utilized for nearly six years now has never charged me extra for their Hunter Road Force Balance process on any of our vehicles. All I have to do is ask for it. But that may be because every Christmas season I bring his entire crew a big platter of my wife's homemade Toll House cookies right out of the oven. They know me by name, treat all of our vehicles with kid gloves every time I bring one in, and give me great deals on new tires. Well worth bringing them a platter of homemade cookies every year.

Reactions: calvin13
1 - 8 of 8 Posts