Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From my oil changes, I’ve been noticing my vehicle was either burning or leaking about a quart of oil every 5k miles. Being a noob, I’ve been ignoring it for a while. Today I found the area where it seeks to be leaking but can’t really nail down an exact location. Pardon my photos. Maybe the experts here can recognize the locations.

I have been thinking about doing a timing belt and water pump change (I’m current at 112k miles). This area is right below the belt location. I read another thread mentioning a similar leak situation. Do you think this repair would fix my leak issue? Please give me your input as I’m unsure where to start. Thanks!

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rim Auto part

Snout Metal Personal protective equipment Fashion accessory Auto part

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas Auto part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Rim Auto part

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium (sold Jan 22)
3,975 Posts
This leak is not big enough to lose a quart every 5,000 miles.

If your timing belt was not changed at 105,000 miles it is well overdue and could fail at any moment causing major engine damage.

Replacing the timing belt, tensioners and idler pulleys will not stop this oil leak. The oil leak is possibly from the camshaft seals. Many timing belt kits come with new camshaft seals but some do not. If the leak is from a camshaft seal then replacing the seals should stop the oil leak.

Hope this helps,

Seagrass

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
18,139 Posts
Leave the water pump alone. They don't fail unless tap water is run in the engine over a long time and then you'd be looking at more than a water pump.

To replace the cam seals you need the tool to hold the cam gears to break the bolt loose. If you don't have it, I suggest you get it. COMPANY23 Tools is a good source for Subie tools.

1 qt in 5k miles is not uncommon. If you want to lower the consumption, use a different oil. I use Royal Purple 5W30 in my cars, a 3.0R sedan, the Supercharhed Outback VDC and the BAJA XT, and there's zero consumption with exception to the BAJA which at last measure was down about a 1/4 qt after 1900 miles, but it's a turbo hitting 16 psi boost.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you suggest a kit or part list of everything I’ll need? I’ve watched a few videos and it seems like I’ll need some special tools as well.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
18,139 Posts
Can you suggest a kit or part list of everything I’ll need? I’ve watched a few videos and it seems like I’ll need some special tools as well.

Front diff drain plug T70 socket. T70 Drain Plug Socket

AC stretch belt set Subaru Stretch Belt Tool

You will also need 8 (if you have screw type hose clamps), 10, 12, 14, 17 and 22 mm sockets with a ratchet and a couple short extensions. Pliers for the radiator hose clamps. #3 Philips for the radiator drain. Flat head driver or trim tool to get the ram retainers out. I suggest the 17 and 22 be 1/2 drive with ratchet and a breaker bar. Torque wrench so you don't overtighten the bolts when you put it back together.

FSM is available here: Subaru Factory Service Manuals (FSM) - Every Model - USDM/EU

NGK spark plugs.

If you are going to replace the thermostat, get it from Subaru parts dept or find an AISIN.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Just curious, does the car consume oil constantly or is it after “x” miles? Regardless of synthetic or conventional, the interval is different for severe service. I’d suggest checking every thousand miles or so. If you notice that there is little or no consumption until 3500 or 4000, for example, you could just do your oil changes at that point.

I had a 2011 2.5 and I just modified my oil change interval accordingly. Turns out I am more of a severe service driver than I thought.

Reactions: seagrass

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just curious, does the car consume oil constantly or is it after “x” miles? Regardless of synthetic or conventional, the interval is different for severe service. I’d suggest checking every thousand miles or so. If you notice that there is little or no consumption until 3500 or 4000, for example, you could just do your oil changes at that point.

I had a 2011 2.5 and I just modified my oil change interval accordingly. Turns out I am more of a severe service driver than I thought.
Good idea. I'm going to try 4K miles going forward.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.