Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Outback 3.6R w 53000 miles. Love this vehicle but it has started leaking oil on the drivers side. Was hoping it was the timing cover but found out today that it is a head gasket issue. Looks like the power train warranty will cover it. What a pain! Looks like the problem w the head gaskets continues.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
2011 Outback 3.6R w 53000 miles. Love this vehicle but it has started leaking oil on the drivers side. Was hoping it was the timing cover but found out today that it is a head gasket issue. Looks like the power train warranty will cover it. What a pain! Looks like the problem w the head gaskets continues.
Umm no - given the 3.6 has never had an ongoing issue with HG. Also are you sure its not a valve cover gasket very different than a HG.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,305 Posts
I've never heard of the 3.6 having HG issues. Ever.

And I can think of less than a dozen on the old 3.0.

Very odd.

·
Registered
18,019 Posts

Very odd.
Indeed the 3.6 is strange, but then again it's a fairly new engine, and the time and miles are probably yet to be accumulated to suggest whether there is a similar pattern or not.

Looking at stats, there's about 255 reports of HG failures in the "No Discussion HG Failure Log" thread as of this evening. And of these, I counted 11 H6's. (There's also a number of 2.2's and turbos, and a few not indicated.) So the H6's account for about 5%.

Question: What is the proportion of sales accounted for by H6's? Is it a similar low number? If it is, then the small number of reported H6 failures isn't necessarily evidence of a non-existent, let alone lower, HG failure rate in the H6.

Does anyone have stats on North American sales of H6's versus the H4's?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
i would also want to verify that it's leaking. the oil cooler gaskets and valve cover gaskets often look like headgaskets leaking due to their close proximity and the way the engine layout makes those leaks coagulate around the headgasket mating surface area. make sure this isn't a technician that has some time on his hands and bills to pay via Subaru warranty reimbursement.

if it is a headgasket - you should adamantly make sure they resurface the head. Subaru dealers in general skip that step, but that's a poor choice for the long term. ask them to give you the head and go have it done yourself if you have to (or do it yourself, it's actually not hard! LOL) Subaru skipping step - will usually get it out of warranty (12 months after the repair i think?), but isn't a proper 200,000 mile repair. Subaru dealers have machine shops they send their work too if needed - might take an extra day, but do it. i've resurfaced Subaru heads and they always could use it. they aren't warped or damaged or catastrophic but they're not flat either. done properly you also get a much better surface for proper headgasket seating. it failed once - not really a good bet to take the short cut on the repair.

at least it happened under warranty, that's awesome. you could ask them if they would replace the spark plugs and valve cover gaskets while it's all apart. it is common practice to do that for the cost of parts. those are standard 100k - 150k replacement items and you can buy yourself another 53,000 miles...or more...for not much money if they only charge you parts.

good questions about the numbers of engine types plain OM - maybe start another specific thread? (and cross our fingers it doesn't get undue commentary about headgaskets, LOL).

·
Premium Member
2008 Subaru Tribeca
882 Posts

Very odd.
I have seen a bunch leak at lower miles, one had 19k and had oil all over the top of the motor from the head gaskets. It's still happening and a big job to replace.

·
Registered
4 Posts
120000 miles. Dealer informed me my head gasket is blown. I am totally shocked as I bought the 3.6 engine thinking I would avoid problems. So disappointed

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,320 Posts
I asked and Dealer said there was no need to resurface heads. Hope this works and the repair lasts.
Find another mechanic who will do the work and resurface the heads or trade the car in after the repair. It will fail again.

I just picked up a 2011 Outback 2.5 from some folks who had a dealer tell them the same thing. The repair didn't last 20k miles, but did last long enough to get them out of the warranty period by 3 weeks. They called the dealer hoping for some leniency but were told there was nothing they could do for them.

Maybe insist the heads be machined.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts