Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2012 STI, 2007 Impreza RS
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Outback 3.6R that hit a deer.
Steering wheel and dash airbags went off (due to there being a passenger) as well as both seatbelts.

I replace the dash, the steering wheel airbag, seatbelts, main airbag module (under the center counsel) and I still had an 29 ODS code.
So then I also got the Occupant Sensor from the donor car as well and installed it, but I still have the 29 ODS code.
A friend from the Subaru dealer tried to rezero the ODS but it will not calibrate, (in all actuality the dealers are not good with this kind of thing because they are only allowed to use new parts, and are not familiar with making used parts work)

Is anyone familiar with how these airgbag systems work? Can a used ODS modul be used on another car?
Has anyone installed a used passenger seat in this gen and got it to work?

I'm wondering if the ODS is married to a car, or some weird thing like this,

Looking for airbag experts LOL

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2012 STI, 2007 Impreza RS
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So this is what I found out.
If there is a passenger in the vehicle when the airbags go off, the passenger seat Occupant Detection Sensor stores accident info, much like the main module. The passenger seat ODS is married to the car and a used ODS will not work. The original ODS will need to be wiped or a brand new seat bottom must be purchased from a dealer.

If there is an accident without a passenger, then the ODS will be ok, and the main airbag module is not married so a clean (no accident history) used module will work.

So if the passenger seat is ever changed, (even if not due to an accident) this will cause the car to have a 29 ODS code.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts