Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2011 2.5i
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice on a diagnosis from my dealer that my transmission is defective. The vehicle will noticeably shake or vibrate at 80-85 km/h (50-55 mph). I didn't notice this until I installed after market rims with new Michelin x-ice snow tires in November. I took it in to have the wheels checked for balance and was told they were fine. I haven't noticed any other symptoms other than it takes 3-4 seconds to shift into reverse when its cold, This is nothing new as its been this way since new. The dealer is telling me 100% the transmission is shot. Looking for advice or other with experience with this. Does this make sense?

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
1,226 Posts
Try putting the original rims back on if you can.

Your new custom wheels may need centering rings. They will balance fine on the tire shop's machine, but without the centering rings, they will feel out-of-balance when installed onto the car.

·
Registered
2011 2.5i
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Had that scheduled for tomorrow but now I'm convinced the transmission is failing. When starting from a complete stop the vehicle shutters & shakes for about 2-3 seconds before settling out. This after the transmission fluid was replaced on the dealer's recommendation. Needless to say I'm pretty disappointed about having to repair/replace the transmission at 134,000 km. This is my first Subaru and most likely will be my last.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,569 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Had that scheduled for tomorrow but now I'm convinced the transmission is failing. When starting from a complete stop the vehicle shutters & shakes for about 2-3 seconds before settling out. This after the transmission fluid was replaced on the dealer's recommendation. Needless to say I'm pretty disappointed about having to repair/replace the transmission at 134,000 km. This is my first Subaru and most likely will be my last.
If the tranny is bad get a hold of SCI and see if they will replace it anyway. 134k km is only 84,000 miles....looks bad on them if they do nothing. Don't feel bad...I lost a head gasket at only 98,000km...but it was covered under warranty. Still a PIA though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts