Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Outback LTD with 25000 km on it and recently heard screeching from the back end. When I applied the brakes there was a clunk. I took off the wheel and there is no brake pad on the rear caliper. The only thing left is a paper thin piece of metal jammed in the caliper. Anyone else have this issue. Subie only serviced at a dealer.

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
This sounds like the rear caliper seized and has been dragging for quite some time. I am surprised you couldnt smell it burning when you got out of the car.

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
brake thickness gauge, ok thats a new one on me. Not sayihng it doesn't exist, but never heard of that before on a subaru tool list.

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
yeah, i have seen a checklist and they will put mm or percent pad remaining. (can't recall which)

but yeah, the gauge 'could' be a pocket scale - more likely just an eyeball.

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
It is possible that sometimes things do just fail, it happens. Maybe he only checked one wheel (not unusual) and it was the other wheel they inspected. Have you checked the other wheel?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I never really noticed the noise or smell cause my wife drives it 90% of the time. The car was just serviced 2 months ago. She did tell me she heard something about 3 weeks ago....but thought it was in her mind. It could be a mechanical fluke but the car just left on a flatbed for its 300km journey to the dealer. Will have results in two days.

·
Registered
514 Posts
We had a VW Golf way back when.
I remember we had to take it to the dealer for all the checklist items to be checked off as SERVICED at so many miles - IN ORDER TO KEEP THE WARRANTY.

We picked up the car, paid them some exorbitant amount of money and among other things, they OK'd the rear drum brakes.

Not even two days later, my wife was driving and one of the rear wheels locked-up! She had to have a flatbed take it to our mechanic. He pulled the drum off and showed us how the pads had fallen off the shoes and were basically floating round & round & round & round, inside the drum, until it caught, then they wedged and locked up that wheel.

I called the VW dealer's Service Manager (hereafter referred to as SM). I asked him "exactly, what is involved when you do your inspection of the rear brakes?" The SM tells me "we pull both rear wheels and drums off and make sure you have good shoes in there and the hardware is all good."

I told him either he is lying to me or the mechanic that worked on the car didn't remove the rear drums. The SM was indignant that the mechanic would definitely have pulled both rear drums, as that is what was on the order from the mechanic.:D

I then told him what had just transpired.:mad:
The SM said he will call me back.:p

I get a call back from the SM.:17:
He proceeds to BS his way with me -- "Sometimes, when things look good (IN VERMONT, NOTHING EVER LOOKS GOOD), we will just pull the little rubber plug from the shoe-adjustment wheel and take a look inside where that rubber plug was removed.":mad::17:

I asked the guy how anyone could possibly see anything inside the assembly through that little slot, there is no way to determine the condition of those rear brake parts by just looking into that slot!:mad:

I then called Volkswagen of America and complained to them. The woman actually laughed and agreed with me that removing that little rubber plug will reveal absolutely NOTHING! She told me they have been having "issues" with that particular dealer, near Barre, Vermont. They then offered to pay for the towing and the brake job in the rear that my mechanic ended up doing for us!:29:

I have dealt with many, many dealers in my lifetime.

I have come to the conclusion that none of them are always honest and, whenever possible, they will cut corners and charge extra money.
Of course, they are in business to MAKE MONEY, not look out for the customer, as that is the CUSTOMER'S JOB!:(:17:

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Sounds like a faulty pad very possible the pad material some how broke off the metal backing plate and exited the scene. Very rare thing either way and subaru Brakes are not any different than all the other autos on the road. I wouldn't put much weight on this and chalk it up to a very odd event one that you will probably never experience again EVER.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Subiesailor, i was hoping the same. I am not upset with the car and mechanical issues are like death and taxes. I am curious if they will only replace the broke pads on the one wheel or do both wheels to keep the rear equal....without charging me extra. I mean the pads come in a set for the rear tires not just one side.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Thanks Subiesailor, i was hoping the same. I am not upset with the car and mechanical issues are like death and taxes. I am curious if they will only replace the broke pads on the one wheel or do both wheels to keep the rear equal....without charging me extra. I mean the pads come in a set for the rear tires not just one side.
Rears and fronts for pads come in sets - makes sense they would simply replace both rears given they get the pads in one box Takes the dealer about 20 minutes to swap pads for both sides makes no sense why they would charge you for one side.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the car back and it was a seized rear calliper. New calliper pads and rotors on the rear end. This is the second time they say that they saw this problem. All fixed and no complaints.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
6 Participants
paulco
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing