Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to embark on a family trip with lots of gear. We have a yakima load warrior and ski rack mounted to the basket. We will have two pairs of skis and poles. I am also looking to put some dry gear in the basket and need a weatherproof option. Here's what I am considering. Any opinions or alternatives?

1. Yakima get out cargo bag (not fully loaded due to ski rack) with gear in trash bags.

2. Rubbermaid plastic action packer boxes (I already have these from my truck)

3. North face base camp duffels with gear in trash bags

I am torn. The duffel bags offer more versatility for other trips and I have one already but would need at least two. The Rubbermaid boxes are great but cumbersome. Finally, the yakima bag sounds economical, but not weatherproof and does not work for air travel. Any thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
The duffels are quite spendy if your'e not going to use them very often. As stated the Rubbermaid boxes are bulky and add to MPG hit.

#1 gets my vote. It expands to availabe space and double bagged items will stay dry. Trash bags are cheap. Welcome BTW.

·
Registered
557 Posts
i would be worried about the air turbulence ripping the trash bags apart.

i would vote for a duffle bag and with the items in trash bag.

get another duffle bag if needed/required.

joel

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'd use the duffle bag you have and then buy another cheap duffle bag if you need to. If you buy a heavier contractor style trash bag (something 3 mil or thicker) you could put the duffles in the bag or put the bag inside the duffle, either will work. I prefer to put the trash bags over the duffle and then use my shop-vac to get all the air out to help prevent them from flapping in the wind and getting torn. Then I use zip-ties or duct tape to close the trash bag.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Use the Action Packers with heavy duty, 2 mil or thicker, leaf bags (inside). They are tough and versatile boxes (I use them in my Series 80 and utility trailer) but they are in no way waterproof when the water is coming at the lid from the side at 70+ mph, and there are no drain holes for any leaked water to escape.

They are strong enough that you can really tighten down the hold down straps and they won't shift around like soft bags. They will offer good protection for your stuff, and you can lock them.

Screw the mileage loss, this is just one trip. If you are going to be doing this often, then you can buy a narrow aerodynamic solution like a Yakima Skybox 12.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am about to embark on a family trip with lots of gear. We have a yakima load warrior and ski rack mounted to the basket. We will have two pairs of skis and poles. I am also looking to put some dry gear in the basket and need a weatherproof option. Here's what I am considering. Any opinions or alternatives?

1. Yakima get out cargo bag (not fully loaded due to ski rack) with gear in trash bags.

2. Rubbermaid plastic action packer boxes (I already have these from my truck)

3. North face base camp duffels with gear in trash bags

I am torn. The duffel bags offer more versatility for other trips and I have one already but would need at least two. The Rubbermaid boxes are great but cumbersome. Finally, the yakima bag sounds economical, but not weatherproof and does not work for air travel. Any thoughts? Thanks!
I have a North Face base camp duffel and have wrapped it in a trash bag for ski trips in North East. Worked well for me. Trash bags are cheap.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Couple of things - do you need the ski's in the box? Or is the plan to have them outside the box to start with? You will recover about 2mpg if you dump the basket and go with the box and simple ski clamp style rack set up.

If you must haul gear in dry bags go with the REAL dry bags as duffel type bags never stay dry for long.

Amazon.com: dry bag

I have a Target 42inch roof bag we use during the summer camping trips we lash it to the trailer. It is built pretty decent if you have it in the basket and use your own straps not the straps that come with it - and pack the duffel bags inside the roof bag I bet they stay dry. Its heavy PVC coated canvase with a heavy zipper with large over sized flap that velcros down over the zipper. I think I paid $50 for it. For the price its worth a try though I can't see you fitting the box and this big 42 inch bag it is HUGE! It will swallow our ice chest and a bunch of other gear if we let it.

Whatch ya packing in the back of the car? We have a few combo's we use pending if the dog is going or not. But lots of years packing the Legacy and now the OB for two kids and some times three adults + a dog we have it down to an artform

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I haven't done this for years but I use to pack duffel bags in my old pickup. I used a 8x12 poly tarp. Lay the tarp down where the bags go ie in the basket. With the excess laying forward load in your bags then flip the tarp over the bags make sure the top half is outside the bottom half - fold the excess and tuck it in tight. When tying it down be sure to run ties from low or from the bottom if possible this way when snugged tight it holds everything down snug including the tarp. Basically wrapping your gear in a burrito poly tarp. This has worked well in the past in a pinch. The trick is packing the bags in the tarp and tying the whole package down as one.

Note the green tarp packed up on the trailer
http://www.subaruoutback.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=7895&size=big&cat=&sort=1&ppuser=15986

This was actually 3 bundles of fire wood bundled up in a 15-20 tarp we take camping for emergency rain cover if needed. Same idea though If you have a big tarp thats even better fold it for double thickness etc - burrito up your duffel bags nice and snug then lash it down. Trucker's hitch tie with a basic rope will get things way tight. Caution on the truckers hitch and the roof rack gear you can actually damage the roof rack or basket pulling too hard on the truckers hitch 2 to 1 purchase. But they make it super easy to snug everything down once for the entire trip.

In the photo I was using cheap nylon webbing with the truckers hitch I tossed the crap ratchets a long time ago.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ordered the yakima bag and I am going to see how it fits the day before. If that doesn't work I'll use the Rubbermaid boxes. We'll see. I was really psyched about the yakima roof bag until I saw that it is not remotely waterproof. Thanks for all the good advice

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
GAskibum
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing