Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. First time posting here. I couldn’t find the symptom hence asking. Sorry if this was discussed in other threads.

I have 2011 outback with cvt. It has about 111k miles. It has been jerking during the normal acceleration recently. It doesn’t happen all the time. When it does, it jerks around the first shifting point of the simulated gear shift. This is in the auto mode, not the manual mode. I pasted the link to YouTube that captured the symptom. Sorry, there is no audio. The jerk happens at 0:07. You can see that rpm drops suddenly from about 2100 down to 1500. This creates jerk as if engine suddenly got too much load. I am sort of suspecting that torque converter or other part of cvt is putting some resistance to engine when this jerk occurs. At 0:37 into the video, it shows normal shifting and there is no jerk. You can see that the rpm drop is smoother and slower. This is how it has been for past 110k miles.

I have an appointment with the dealer to check this out in a week. I am trying to get better educated so that the problem can be addressed correctly. I would appreciate if anyone can share their knowledge and information.

https://youtu.be/-TqOXjyV_WU

Thanks
Dsp

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To clarify, the jerk happens only once during the shifting. It’s also feels like very rough shifting in manual tranny cars. Thanks.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,071 Posts

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,200 Posts
call the subaru of america 800 line monday morning. get the car flatbeded to the nearest dealer you like dealing with for service.
(if you dislike the closest one,...no big deal, they should let you pick).

this maybe unsafe to drive there as it may crap out in a intersection leaving you open to being hit from behind/ the side.

and you have to get this fixed for free NOW.

it has more then 100,000 miles on it, and therefore free CVT fixes are only good till July 31, 2018. so step one is to get a call officially logged into subaru of america for CVT problems "BEFORE" that date,...so you maybe able to get a free retroactive fix if the problem comes and goes.

some of the fixes include a free torque converter, others a locally rebuilt trans, and others a factory rebuilt trans from japan.
(this on CVTs of US/Canada years 2010-15)

____

other more begin causes, that you need a CVT fluid change, ...or a reflash of the CVT programing.

how old is the battery? (one of the signs of a decaying battery is poor shifting in a automatic,... and if this is the original battery it is a few years past its life expectancy).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I will call SoA. Regarding the battery, it is 3-4 years old. I hope that it gets fixed. I will share the updates.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some update. I was driving on local roads and all the lights on the dash came on including AT temp, CEL, cruise, etc. AT temp light was flashing while CEL had no flash but was on the whole time. Drove to the nearest dealer and the car didn’t seem to couple with the torque converter. There is no simulated rpm drop which is very strange. I also didn’t feel jerkiness. car felt it had less power and heavy. Anyways, I dropped it off and will share more update next time.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,200 Posts
Some update. I was driving on local roads and all the lights on the dash came on including AT temp, CEL, cruise, etc. AT temp light was flashing while CEL had no flash but was on the whole time. Drove to the nearest dealer and the car didn’t seem to couple with the torque converter. There is no simulated rpm drop which is very strange. I also didn’t feel jerkiness. car felt it had less power and heavy. Anyways, I dropped it off and will share more update next time.
all those dash lights is typical of a failing battery. (possibly a battery wire/ main grounds/ alternator). = "Christmas tree effect"

_______

with that extended warranty on the CVT you get a free loaner car too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately this is my second time with the Christmas’s tree light. First resulted in an engine replacement due to some crack in one of the cylinder. This time might be some tranny work. I hope whatever it is is covered by warranty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More update. Dealer diagnosed the Christmas tree light and said the transmission valve control (?) needs replacement and it is covered under warranty.

For the jerkiness, they said it might be related to the first issue but need to be diagnosed after some additional tests. Any idea if the two are linked? I am no expert but as far as I understand, torque convert is a separate piece from the rest of transmission only connected by the drive shaft. Could the faulty valve control cause such possible TC symptoms?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the car back from the dealer. According to the paper, they changed the valve body solenoid. It drives fine now. Thanks for all the help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts