Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a issue with the CVT on a 2011 Outback with under 1100k miles.
Was doing around 50 mph when stuck behind a car and had to accelerate hard to get around it. As I nearly floored the vehicle when the RPM was above 4000k the car lurched or bucked as though the transmission slipped and then caught again.

No I was not using paddles or accidentally hit them.

No this is not the limiter for the Revs to protect the engine.

Car should shift by computer safely.

This preceded to continue on the entire trip going up steep slopes to pass slow moving trucks on the interstate or accelerating under more than normal load.

I have an appointment with dealer but don't expect much.

It's not the first time I have to push the car hard but it never did this before.
Now I have no confidence in the vehicles longevity especially with the costs reported to be $8k to replace the CVT (No repairs possible?)

Also I was under vehicle and noticed the flywheel was exposed.
Does anyone know if this is normal?
Also has anyone had this problem with a slipping CVT.
I have never towed anything with this vehicle and now afraid to do so.

Picture attached of visible flywheel
:28:

Attachments

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
First congratz on hitting 1,100,000 miles (think you mis typed there, k=1000)

Now with the joke out of the way, be careful not to tell mechanics what is wrong, especially when you don't know. It sounds to me more like you are low on fluid or a torque converter issue.

My flywheel is not red like yours. It looks like maybe seal went and the red is lost fluid. I sincerely hope that the decision to continue to drive the car on the trip did not cause any serious damage, but depending how many miles it was bucking could be fatal. If it were me I'd tow it to the dealer simply to make it look good, if the warranty is still intact the tow is likely free anyway. I hope it is only a simple leak and new fluid is all you need. Hoping for the best! :/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No leaks, bone dry, no puddles under car.
And you are correct I don't know whats wrong I just know it's not right.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I recently had a issue with the CVT on a 2011 Outback with under 1100k miles.
Was doing around 50 mph when stuck behind a car and had to accelerate hard to get around it. As I nearly floored the vehicle when the RPM was above 4000k the car lurched or bucked as though the transmission slipped and then caught again.

No I was not using paddles or accidentally hit them.

No this is not the limiter for the Revs to protect the engine.

Car should shift by computer safely.

This preceded to continue on the entire trip going up steep slopes to pass slow moving trucks on the interstate or accelerating under more than normal load.

I have an appointment with dealer but don't expect much.

It's not the first time I have to push the car hard but it never did this before.
Now I have no confidence in the vehicles longevity especially with the costs reported to be $8k to replace the CVT (No repairs possible?)

Also I was under vehicle and noticed the flywheel was exposed.
Does anyone know if this is normal?
Also has anyone had this problem with a slipping CVT.
I have never towed anything with this vehicle and now afraid to do so.

Picture attached of visible flywheel
:28:
yes, i posted about this last week but got responses that the car shouldn't go above 3500rpm for whatever reason. i abandoned the thread. we brought our car to the dealer and they actually replaced the entire transmission but the car still has the problem.

link to thread: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/56121-2012-outback-cvt-issue.html

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
yes, i posted about this last week but got responses that the car shouldn't go above 3500rpm for whatever reason. i abandoned the thread. we brought our car to the dealer and they actually replaced the entire transmission but the car still has the problem.

link to thread: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/56121-2012-outback-cvt-issue.html
I Think everyone got hung up on the fact you said you regularly get the car to 5k when most of us might do that only a couple times a year. A dealer looking to pass blame might simply call it abuse, just 'cause.

Then there was the while debate about peak power.

I Think you might be having a torque converter problem too. I wonder if they replaced it when they replaced the tranny.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I Think everyone got hung up on the fact you said you regularly get the car to 5k when most of us might do that only a couple times a year. A dealer looking to pass blame might simply call it abuse, just 'cause.

Then there was the while debate about peak power.

I Think you might be having a torque converter problem too. I wonder if they replaced it when they replaced the tranny.
well first off, "regularly" is pretty subjective. what constitutes abuse? i simply said often times when merging on to the highway or passing another vehicle...not talking about just driving normally to the grocery store. at no point did i say that the output of the engine was not in line with the throttle that was being applied. everyone has their own driving style, and if you've ever driven in the tri-state area you'd know that if you're not merging quickly and expeditiously you'll get eaten alive (and sometimes it's just outright dangerous to merge slowly with traffic doing 80+mph).

i do not believe they replaced the TC. i'm probably going to schedule a visit this weekend to take a tech out for a ride and show them what it's doing (again). the dealer/service manager is almost bipolar...when we see him in person he's very cordial and nice and apologetic and willing to do what it takes to make it right...then on the phone he's very short and tries to pass the blame. one more chance and we will probably be taking it to another dealer after that along with contacting SoA.

the fact that i'm (we're) not the only one experiencing this issue is starting to tell me that it's a manufacturer defect. could be rare, or could just be the fact that most people never or rarely drive their outback in such a fashion so they never see the issue.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,456 Posts
Looking over this thread and quattrocup's thread and video, it seems to me that there may be a communication error/ground issue or an issue with fluid pressure or actuator function

My question to both, and I know quattrocup said the paddle shifting didn't change anything, is this, does it do it at the same speed and gear ratio setting/change?

I am thinking there is an issue with the ratio change where the actuator "hangs" for that second or more then moves up in the ratio. The shuddering is also indicative of a ratio error.

The engine rpm is a mute point. These engines will do high rpms easily. That's what makes a boxer versatile. These engines can see high rpm regularly and not cause a failure. The transmissions on the other hand have quirky characteristics in different generations that tend to pop up. But, the CVT was designed for smooth ratio transitions regardless of engine rpm to keep the power band leveled out to increase efficiency and performance.

I think someone needs to connect a data logger to these cars and run them in conjunction with line pressure data to isolate the issue. 2 cars in 2 weeks with varying mileage. (and I will assume the OP of this post is at 11,000 miles) Questionable. Torque converter would also be on my checklist. If the pump is slipping in the converter it will act this way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Looking over this thread and quattrocup's thread and video, it seems to me that there may be a communication error/ground issue or an issue with fluid pressure or actuator function

My question to both, and I know quattrocup said the paddle shifting didn't change anything, is this, does it do it at the same speed and gear ratio setting/change?

I am thinking there is an issue with the ratio change where the actuator "hangs" for that second or more then moves up in the ratio. The shuddering is also indicative of a ratio error.

The engine rpm is a mute point. These engines will do high rpms easily. That's what makes a boxer versatile. These engines can see high rpm regularly and not cause a failure. The transmissions on the other hand have quirky characteristics in different generations that tend to pop up. But, the CVT was designed for smooth ratio transitions regardless of engine rpm to keep the power band leveled out to increase efficiency and performance.

I think someone needs to connect a data logger to these cars and run them in conjunction with line pressure data to isolate the issue. 2 cars in 2 weeks with varying mileage. (and I will assume the OP of this post is at 11,000 miles) Questionable. Torque converter would also be on my checklist. If the pump is slipping in the converter it will act this way.
it does seem to be somehow linked to a specific gear ratio. not sure how to explain it, it varies at speed/rpm when it happens but my feeling is that some combination of rpm and gear ratio (goldilocks scenario) causes the issue to occur. the techs did connect a data logger the first time before the tranny was replaced, not sure exactly what they logged but it was enough for subaru to approve a new cvt. i'm not convinced it's necessarily mechanical, like you said it could be something in the TCU causing a 'misstep' in ratio change...however the fact that i had it occur while paddle shifting (which supposedly keeps a fixed ratio for each gear) is leading me towards mechanical.

great insight, thank you. the problem is you can't go to the dealer with this info because they assume you are a stupid know-nothing customer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts