Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Limited 11OB 2.5i CVT 140k mi
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you can see in the images below, the driver side valve cover hits the car frame so I can't get it off. I've already changed the passenger valve cover gasket and that went well. On the other hand, the driver sides is turning into a nightmare because it is closer to the car frame so there is not enough clearance to pull the valve cover out.
I've read that raising the engine is the solution as this would give more clearance to pull out the driver side valve cover. But, no one so far has described in detail how to raise the engine in these 4th Gen Outbacks (and I've never raised a car engine before). How can I do this without damaging the engine mounts or something else? I can see three of the engine mounts: with respect to the engine, one is at the six O'clock and the other two engine mounts at the 10 and 2 O'clock position each. There must be a forth "engine mount", perhaps attached to the CVT somewhere?

I just want to make sure this valve cover gasket replacement doesn't end up doing more harm than good.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
1,034 Posts
Generically speaking, to raise an engine I have unbolted the engine mount on the side I am working and with a piece of lumber on the floor jack, slowly lifted from the oil pan. That is how I was taught in high school autoshop.
If more clearance is needed, it may be necessary to unbolt both front engine mounts. There should be enough slack in all the hoses and wiring to allow this but a pair of eyes watching is best practice.

Have you checked the service manual for the procedure? or utube university? ?

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5
174 Posts
Watching this, as I might want to be doing this soon too.

This is all that I've found

Nothing about any issue about removing it though..

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
It’s not easy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UTube University, oh yes how wonderful. I've been scouring UTube and have not found any video that answers the specifics of raising the Outback engine without using an engine stand. For sure the engine needs to be shifted upwards to allow for the driver side valve cover removal.

At this point, I'll probably try what dukey33 suggested since it's the best information I have at this point.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Somewhere in this site I read about someone that changed the valve cover gaskets without resorting to tilting the engine. I did not realize until today that removing the fuel injectors is much simpler and safer route than tilting the engine to get the clearance needed to remove the driver side valve cover. I was amazed at how easy and convenient it is to remove the fuel injectors! Great design Suba! By the way, the 2011 Outback injectors are a much smaller package and much easier to remove than that of my 91 Accord.
I'm happy having been able to change both valve cover gaskets. Thanks to this site and its contributors!!!

Good day and good night everyone!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts