Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-I'm a new member.
Just was told my 2011 Outback with 85,000 miles needs a new engine. Cylinder 4 zero compression. Other 3 are fine. Have no idea why it happpened. My Outback was not part of the oil consumption TSB.
Anyway- trying to decide between a short block from Subaru (approx $5000 parts and labor with 3 yr warranty),or a used engine for a local salvage yard (approx $3000 parts and labor) where they give you 3 month warranty. I'm a bit nervous about that choice but cant see shelling out $5000 either.
Does anyone out there have any experience with these companies that sell remanufactured or used engines online that supposedly have been tested? Some of these have a 5 year parts and labor warranty. There are a few out there such as Remanns and SW Engines. My mechanic is leery of purchasing an engine online.
Thanks!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,171 Posts

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,171 Posts
I see you are in PA. people here have had good luck with the place I linked there and its in NJ. (other JDM places are in Queens).

like this one:
https://www.jdmnewyork.com/product/...-outback-forester-2-5l-sohc-engine-jdm-ej253/

_______

if you want another source: PMP auto,...call them in PA. they might have a matching engine, and not listed on their website. (seem tp specialize in turbos, but do have many other subarus there from what other people say here).

_____

harry's in hazeleton has ONE 2011 legacy also Hazleton Inventory | Harry's U-Pull It
when I was there I thought pulling them would suck though especially in February.
(no yard guys poking around in a van to quickly free it with a plasma cutter) edit: I don't know if the engine is there or salvagable, and no one on the phone will know either,

_________

these engines are not that big if you don't want to pay for deliver, and you have something else to drive. like nab one in a camry sedan with the trunk tied shut. (some here have).

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
My son has experience with used engines at CarMax. It is a crap shoot. Some are great some fail immediately.

You should be able to get a quality reman for less than the new short block from Subaru.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
ddrury said:
Just playing devil's advocate...

Your car is comparable to mine, it's also a 2011 with about 85000 miles on it. I believe my KBB value is somewhere around 6000-7000 for dealer trade in. Finances considered, would it make more sense for you to look into the purchase of something new instead of investing another 5000 into a car that's only worth a little bit more?

And yes, I agree with the above, see if there's any other testing that can be done regarding the engine. Cover all your bases before swinging the 20 lb sledge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help everyone! Ended up deciding on a used engine with 77,000 miles on it with a 90 day warranty from a reputable salvage yard in western Pa. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will be fine.
I do have to question my mechanic though. Originally, VDC, brake and check engine lights came on and it started running really rough and then car basically started shaking and then shut off. And then had it towed. I drove it home 2 weeks ago after the diagnosis -since they needed the parking while I was working on finding a used engine. I drove it back today for the install and noticed that the VDC and brake lights were on again but the check engine light was off. The car seemed to be driving normally. Very strange. I do trust my mechanic-been taking my vehicles to him for years...don't see how you can misdiagnose something like a cylinder with no compression...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts