Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2011, Outback, 2.5L
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Outback 2.5i is 18 months new. At about 6 months of operation I noticed what I discerned to be a 'clicking' (like those old problems with valve lifters many moons ago.... showing my age now...). It was more pronounced at 'parking lot' speeds and on decileration. I had it looked at by the dealer several times and finally had an explanation that made sense. The CVT on these is powered by a chain... as time goes on (beak in) the chain wears a bit (not enough to be an opreational concern... but really annoying). The result is what sounds like a 'chirping/ticking' based on engine speed. Nothing they can do... oh well.

The other issue... FE Vibration at speeds about 65 MPH... I didn't have this until they did a tire rotation and force balance. But now it seems that the alignment wasn't set right (or my wife hit some fairly bumpy potholes) and the tires wore a bit unusual (I can't see any real wear issues...but...who knows). Anyway, they are going to put a 'kit' on the FE and give me 2 new tires.... then we'll see... I'll report back in about 2 weeks.

Funny thing is that when I test-drove this, it was smooth and strong...no noises... sheeeeesh...!

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Clicking is the shift lock mechanism which locks and unlocks at low speeds this device prevents accidental gear selection if one were to hit the shift handle in the center console.

Some of my old toyota's did this also. Also per the temps it might get louder or quieter.

I have 40,000 miles on ours original Continental tires. Around 20K my tire shop and I both noted that the continentals were not holding balance very well between 15K and 21K three of the tires took over a full ounce of weights to get them balanced. Around 27K I started to get a vibration at 65mph and the tire shop went through the tires again and confirmed that they again all 4 this time need a fairly sizable change in balance weights which isn't normal. They also found that one tire happened to be on the front was starting to go out of round. Rubber continues to cure over time and the suspicion was that these tires as they aged were going out of round. Which case the only solution at that point was to put the egg shaped tire on the back got rid of the 65mph shake steering was smooth again but there was a slight vibration in the back seat due to the crummy tire.

Now at 40K the tires are nearly bald at the wear bars and I plan on replacing them with BFG Touring tires which have very high marks for being good tires. knock on wood I'm not messing around with crappy tires that don't hold balance very well and go out of round.

·
Registered
2011, Outback, 2.5L
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok... thanks SUBIESAILOR.

The 'clicking' is also pesent at idle if you just tap the accelerator a bit... which had me thinking it was lifters initially. The Service manager who I took for a ride didn't mention that, but it sounds logical. Anyway, it won't det;)ract too much from the ownership expereince... just didn't expect a noise like this. I thought I did enough research, and every indication was that this was a 'time tested' drive train, so we made the purchase. I really like the ride on a long trip... smooth and comfortable :)

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5
3 Posts
I'm having some really weird issues that I can't figure out. First of all, starting at 40 all the way through 70mph, the car vibrates. It feels more pronounced under the seat but you feel it in the wheel as well. It started about a month or so ago. I had tried rotating the tires but there was no change. My tires were still good but being winter, I decided to go ahead and get some snow treads. Took them to a Chevy dealer (near work) to have them mounted and balanced while I was at work. It seemed weird that it took almost 3 hours for them to do it but oh well. So, I get the car back and it's still doing it. Again (even though they're brand new), I rotated the tires. Still no change. Now I understand the deal with Road Force Balancing tires but at the moment I don't know if that's what was done. Since the cost was $70 and not the normal $50 I've paid in the past, I almost want to think they did RFB them. I'll call tomorrow to verify. Anyway, I took the car to a Subaru dealer today asking if this might be the transmission problem I've heard of (car hasn't stalled out but does sometimes go to almost stall when pulling up to a stoplight). They looked everything over and dismissed the transmission question completely and pointed the finger at the tire balance. My car has 47k miles and this just started maybe 300 miles ago. Any ideas what might cause this? The snow tires were done 4 days ago and I haven't ever hit anything that might cause me to think of a bent wheel (but you'd think the Chevy dealer would have noticed a bent wheel when doing the tires.

Both Technicians that drove my car acknowledged that there is excessive vibration but they still point the finger at the tires. Old tires just recently started doing it. New tires do it too? not to mention the issue doesn't move when you rotate the tires? I really don't think it's a tire thing but I don't really know much about the TSB's that were issued for steering components and such. I'm fairly certain this has never been performed but they also said with the car up, they saw nothing wrong. I have however recieved the notice that the warranty was extended for the "drivetrain" to 10 years or 100k miles. Why would Subaru issue that if there wasn't something going on?

Please anyone that's had to have a transmission replaced (10 or 11 Outback) let me know if I'm crazy or not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts