Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of purchasing a 2011 Outback Limited 3.6R wagon. The vehicle was in a flood and parts of the body wiring harness need replaced. The engine and dash wiring harness are fine. We need to replace the wiring harness from the kick panels (down by feet) back to the fuel pumps.

My question is this: do I need a 3.6 wiring harness for the interior of the car, or does it have to be a Limited wiring harness regardless of which engine is in the car?

The salvage yard has a 2.5 base wagon wiring harness but we can tell it isn't the same. At the very least the harness does not have the stereo wiring for the under the seat amplifier. We didn't look at it in too much detail yet. But they do have a Limited sedan which we haven't looked at. My thought is on the interior, the wiring would be for the options and a Limited is a Limited regardless of engine size.

And would anyone know which years are interchangeable? Salvage yard said 2010-12 but it would be great if someone could verify.

Appreciate any help. Thanks!

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
Subaru makes one vehicle called the Legacy. The wagon being the OB. Outside of the engine and transmission wiring the rest should be a standard harness and wiring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response subiesailor.

I guess my question really was related to trim level. A car with Limited trim should have the same interior wiring harness. Really wouldn't matter if it is a sedan or wagon.

In the olden days (80's) the wiring was stubbed out, meaning that if your car didn't have a cassette player and you wanted to add one, Subaru used the same wiring harness and the wiring was there. All you had to do was put the cassette player in the console and plug it in. Back then they probably only used one wiring harness for all vehicles.

We were kind of expecting the same thing when working on this 2011. But it appears that the wiring harness for a Base trim level is different than for the Limited trim level. We are not seeing the empty connectors in the base car for the additional options that the Limited has.

We decided the safe thing to do is to look at the Limited model sedan and actually count the wires/connectors and make sure everything is the same as my Limited wagon.

I'll post back here what we find out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wanted to give an update. We ended up replacing all wire connectors in the wiring harness in the passenger cabin. We could not find a wiring harness that had all the exact same connections as my car, and we looked at quite a few Subarus, so we just spliced on new connectors.
The good news is the car is running and everything seems to be working perfectly. So I picked up a 2011 3.6 wagon on the cheap!
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
My thoughts go out to you for the pending hassle that lays ahead. I've worked on a few flood cars in the past and they always keep on giving (trouble that is)!! It's always some electrical gremlin, rust issue, siezed bolt or some other problem associated with water where it wasn't designed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts