Subaru Outback Forums banner

101 - 112 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Glad I'm not the Only One!

I was searching a site that may shed some light on my lack of lights. I have a 2012 Outback that i purchased 18 months ago and last night my passenger headlight went out. This is my THIRD time changing the **** light bulb!! Due to the new design (surely a plan to make more money at dealerships) my husband cannot easily access the bulb so I'm forced to get it professionally done. The dealership charges me $60 a headlight!!! Now that it's winter the sun goes down faster and the police around here LOVE to pull you over for a light being out. So, when a light goes out i'm struggling to get it fixed fast. It's so stressful i"m on the verge of trading in this car for a new one. I've always had Toyota's and this is my first Subaru and I'm my love for this car is diminishing - just like the lights. Ugh. I'll submit a claim but don't know if it will fix anything.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I thought I would post this in here

I just received a letter from Subaru that is extending the warranty for ten years for the low-beam Halogen headlights bulbs (regardless of mileages) from start date for the 2010-2012 Legacy and 2010-2012 Outback, the affected models are vehicles that were manufacture through August 8, 2011for the Legacy models and August 22, 2011 for the Outback. There is no action require by you.
This is not a recall. Also enclosed in the letter is a reimbursement claim form.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I just got that letter too. I doubt I'll take advantage of it though. My Ossram special service bulbs are going strong and I doubt Subraru will replace them with the same bulb.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I thought I would post this in here

I just received a letter from Subaru that is extending the warranty for ten years for the low-beam Halogen headlights bulbs (regardless of mileages) from start date for the 2010-2012 Legacy and 2010-2012 Outback, the affected models are vehicles that were manufacture through August 8, 2011for the Legacy models and August 22, 2011 for the Outback. There is no action require by you.
This is not a recall. Also enclosed in the letter is a reimbursement claim form.
I just got the letter, but the Outback is still using the original bulbs. Nice to know tehy will be replaced for free if they burn out. Was not looking forward to take tire off to replace them :9:. :29:

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
This is the first time that I have ever seen a company cover headlight bulbs...they are a part that wears and usually would not be covered. I changed mine out for Osram's soon after I got the car. I have yet to get a letter about this...and the air bag recall....:surprise:

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Why the limitation to just certain VIN (prior to August 2011) when all of the Gen-IV are identically difficult?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've had to replace my low beam bulbs and I'll for-sure be getting money from Subaru to reimburse me for the ones I put in. I did it myself, so hopefully I won't have any trouble getting the money.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Anyone know if this "letter" is 2011 specific or does it cover 2012 as well?

I recall I had a bad run of lights in my 2012 OB though in my case it was brake and fog lights that were blowing in rapid succession. Really maddening since it kept happening to me like 4 days in a row as I tried to get my state inspection.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone know if this "letter" is 2011 specific or does it cover 2012 as well?

I recall I had a bad run of lights in my 2012 OB though in my case it was brake and fog lights that were blowing in rapid succession. Really maddening since it kept happening to me like 4 days in a row as I tried to get my state inspection.

Same problem 2014 legacy. I used a high end oscilloscope fluke tested both headlights driver light works and reads 1.79amps i got pics. Passenger side reads 1.717kA there is power the lights are new. The fuse is good.

My assumption i need a electrical diagram to determine exactly if its after power comes into the fuse. Its between the fuse snd the light so if there is a module or relay there is a serious issue.

101 - 112 of 112 Posts