Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2011 outback 3.6 ltd w/50k miles. I stumbled onto this page about vibrations above >65 mph after looking at for other info. A friend was with me a couple of summers ago and on the highway back from the mountains he suggested ( from theassenger seat) that I get an alignment. Last winter I had snow tires on and still vibrated, just not as much. Recently bought new tires with alignment and balancing. (Firestone precision touring, not cheap) The moment I exceed 65-70 the steering wheel rattles like is going to come loose. (I am past 30 day return point for tires because car was in body shop for hail damage repair)

I am not a speeder - I keep pace on Colorado highways but feel unsafe to be driving up and down mountain roads with my children in the car.

Where do I start to try and solve the problem? Dealer? Tire pressure? Back to tire shop? Mostly love this car. This is my only complaint about the car. Well, this and the ultimately counterintuitive Bluetooth process for the phone. And maybe the horrible radio menu controls. And, the cheap plastic roof rails which were replaced with Thule towers.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2015 Outback Premium
66 Posts
Wheels are out of balance / were not balanced correctly.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,569 Posts
If it is the real shake issue...balancing your tires will be of no help at all. Get your tires balanced...preferably using a road force balancer. If that does not fix it...then you may have the issue. Subaru issued a TSB...which I put up on this site...for this issue. It worked for some but was largely unsuccessful. There were a number of vehicle replacements for affected forum members....me included.

It is a trouble shooting process...first step...wheel balance....go from there

·
Registered
1 Posts
My tire dealer told me my re-balance would NOT fix my shake, my wheels are slightly out of round! I have had no accidents. Right side wheels are the problem, new wheels are very expensive!

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,569 Posts
My tire dealer told me my re-balance would NOT fix my shake, my wheels are slightly out of round! I have had no accidents. Right side wheels are the problem, new wheels are very expensive!
If that is the case and it is a new OB it should be covered under warranty. I had an '01 forester that had that issue and they replaced my rims gratis.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i crystal white pearl
473 Posts
Maybe I read this wrong if so forgive me,....but if the wheels were out of round, and not due to damage, wreck, or hitting something very hard such as a curb, it would not have waited for 4 years and 50k miles to show up. You said it was in the body shop was this due to an accident, and if so it should have been corrected with the body work, and I am assuming covered by insurance.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i crystal white pearl
473 Posts
sorry did not see the part about Hail damage,.... but if this is just showing up after 50K miles and 4 years something had to have happened to Make your wheels out of round they don't sag with age.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
So a few things your speed and description of your shake is more in the tire issue than the car.

I've had more than my share of bad tires in recent years. I've had three Costco Michelin tires replaced due to being egg shaped no amount of balancing would fix them! That was on my VW.

My Subaru had egg shaped tire at 30K which got worse over time to the point it could only be on the back of the car by 44K I couldn't take it anymore and replaced the tires with a better tire ZERO issues!!! Also I have had tire shops in the past who were lousy no amount of going back would get them to balance the tires right only after going to a different shop did I find out the tires were horribly balanced and my issue was then fixed.

You have tire issues and Firestone tires mehhh not really the greatest for quality and many shops can be pretty poor regarding skills in the shop. Check your store for its online feedback I suspect its probably not that impressive.

The mechanical shake issue has not been heard of much since 2012 and it really wasn't that common. Very rare chance you have a shaker especially if only now your noticing with different tires.

Also if it only shakes while touching the brake then its a unrelated totally different issue. Tires are #1 suspect here.
I would suspect an out of balance drive line or snow and ice packed into the wheels being second suspect source.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for all of the feedback and interest.
To clarify - Problem didn't take four years - I looked back at the date I traveled with the friend who noticed it and it was summer 2012, I figured it was out of alignment, and didn't register until I realized it was still occurring and I read these forums and wondered if it is related issue. No striking anything - body shop work was hail-related. Does not happen upon braking - happens while accelerating and/or coasting above certain speeds in all weather. New Tires, Balancing & alignment no help so far. Have a dealer appointment to ride along and do a diagnostic next Thursday. Hoping whatever it is it is not creating a safety issue in and that there is a fix (preferably one that is affordable and/or covered). Will post back as I learn more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PS. Hoping that if it seemed less noticeable with snow tires it is the tires - though for $1,000 I really will have an issue with the tire shop if the we tires are wrong for the car. (Shop had mostly decent reviews.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts