Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking to buy a 2.5 limited from a private party for $22,000.
The Outback is a limited version with 16,500 miles. It was sold new in December 2010. It is equipped with moon roof, rear camera, splash guards and the rest of the limited stuff. I am not sure the price is right or not. For not much more I can purchase a new one; however with the low miles and potential to buy a Suburau gold plus contract latter, it seems like a low risk propostition. I can purchase a new 2013 for $28,500 similarly configured. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,322 Posts
Have you driven it?<O:p</O:p
For not much more I can purchase a new one… if you mean a 2013, the 2013’s (to date) doesn’t shake. And that car/pkg new is $28/29K.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
2013 & 2014 Outback
268 Posts
Wife has a 2011 OB with sunroof and backup camera. The My Subaru trade in is ARO 21K. Purchased a new 2013 Premium for me last month without the sunroof and it came to ARO 27K

If you can swing it the 2013 is much nicer due to 4 valve engine per cylinder and the updated CVT.

Her mileage is about 24 in the city, mine is 28-29 in the city.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium 6MT
546 Posts
Wife has a 2011 OB with sunroof and backup camera. The My Subaru trade in is ARO 21K. Purchased a new 2013 Premium for me last month without the sunroof and it came to ARO 27K

If you can swing it the 2013 is much nicer due to 4 valve engine per cylinder and the updated CVT.

Her mileage is about 24 in the city, mine is 28-29 in the city.
I believe the 2.5's are all four valves per cylinder - not just the 2013's.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Think of it this way on average your typical car loan costs between $2500 and $3500 over the life of the loan. So if a new car is say $25,000 and a almost two year old used car is $21,000 - they aren't even selling the used car at a large enough difference to make the actual numbers matter. At least not enough to justify the difference between a used car and a new car.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
Do this, email ever dealer you'd be willing to drive to for the best price on a new 13 with the options you want. Then drive a 13, next get the private party guy down as low as he will go. Don't drive his unless you're serious but if you do this you can make up your own mind.

·
Registered
2013 & 2014 Outback
268 Posts
I believe the 2.5's are all four valves per cylinder - not just the 2013's.

I know they are 2.5 is 4 cylinder engines *S* I believe the 2013 had a twin overhead cam and 4 valves per cylinder.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Checked the used Outback out and it had scrached rear quarter paint and torn interior trim on rear door. Decided to change gears a bit and ordered a base Outback CVT Premium with cold weather package, floor mats and rear bumper protector. Decided I did not need leather, dual air, electric paassenger seat, HK audio or moon roof. I will add head unit, speakers, nav and rear camera via third party items. Seemed to be the most affordable way to go given what I was looking for. I got a very good deal for ordering so no need to take alot of uneeded options from dealer inventory. I am quite happy overall as I really do not need the car until it starts snowing in the Sierras.

·
Registered
2015 Twilight Blue Legacy Premium
466 Posts
That's great that you were able to get a new one! Even the base model looks good.

What color did you go for?

Congrats!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's great that you were able to get a new one! Even the base model looks good.

What color did you go for?

Congrats!
I ordered the silver. I am a little nervous about the heat buildup in the summer with the black interior. I seriously considered the white with its light interior. The dealer said that I can change my mind until a VIN number is assigned to the build. I am also not sure if I should get an engine block warmer and battery warmer. I do not know if the factory parts for this are better than any other third party products that may be out there.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I went from black leather interior to white - lighter body color to dark body color with cream interior. I'm in CA where we just wrapped up a few days over 100. My take on the heat issue is that your exterior color plays a far far larger role in heat build up vs interior color. I would take a lighter colored car with black interior over a dark car with light interior any day. My current car is dark blue with light interior it gets hotter than ****. My prior subaru was the old sand color with black interior it go no where near as hot however the seat surfaces did get toasty on really hot days.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,322 Posts
... exterior color plays a far far larger role in heat build up vs interior color.
That seems to be the forum consensus/observation, the OB heat source/dissipation is more from the glass/body than the interior choice. While of course the darker will retain more heat, it is insignificant compared to the former.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts