Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2011,premium,2.5
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First mod in a while, installed db651 in the back and db6501 in the front,I ran with the back ones for a week longer,not by choice,took a week for the front ones to come in,but with just the back replaced I could already hear much better sound out of them,and was vary happy with them,btw I didn't have to cut out the stock speakers to have them fit,just drilled them in with the bracket that it came with no problems,took about 2hours or so to install both,mostly because it was my first time doing speakers and wanted to get it right the first time...but by the end of the week the front ones came in and boy did this ever suck lol,took 2 days of 9-10hours working on them,like said,first rodeo and I hate wires lol,but also had to figure out the layout of how to install the crossovers and the tweeters,the short story on this,I used pipe hanger/plumbers tape(or what ever u call it)to hold the tweeters in and installed the crossovers with velcro behind the glass of the door windows and used just the brackets again and was done...

So,I like them but I lost alot of bass,not what I am used to right now,also read they need lots of power,the fronts are 100rms and the back is 60rms I think,found an amp for 200$ that puts 150 rms and its a 4 channle amp as well(kenwood) then will be adding a sub,not sure to go for power or not just yet I know the amp that I want has a preamp spot so I can hook more up np,but finding an sub that doesn't take up alot of room in the back is kind hard,but I don't want my butt to vibrate out of my seat eather....kinda on aspot right now about it lol an thoughts?

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
I know someone else wrote a review of an under seat sub with good results. I would look into a 5 channel amp that will allow you to have front/rear fade as well as being able to adjust the sub gain independently.

As a side note, I would try to work with your four speakers before going too far. If you have one of the speakers out of phase with the others it would drastically reduce the amount of bass that is heard out of the system. I would unhook the rears and work on the fronts first since they were the last ones to go in and could be the reason for the loss of sound.

·
Registered
2011,premium,2.5
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its not the loss of sound, but the stock speakers and like a sub, real basic in design, they had much more bass output then they could make a clear good sound, now i have clear sound, but no bass, also can tell that the speakers are starving on the low output of the head unit, working on the amp,then sub then head unit...or switch head unit and the sub, but i know i need an amp first,for the price of a 5 channel of what a 4 channel can do, i will be going with a 4channel with a preamp,and all i have to do is hook up a bass amp to that without running more wires, beside to the bass it self

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
Holy run on sentences!:D
Run-on sentence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After reading through that about 10 times I think I get what you're trying to say. I too have noticed that aftermarket speakers can seem to lack bass compared to stock speakers, but you do gain clarity. Perhaps it's an efficiency thing or just they way they're designed...

Why not just go for a 5 channel amp right off the bat so that you won't have to add an additional subwoofer amp later on? It will take up less space and probably cost less in the long run. I like the Alpine PDX-5 for its compact size with pretty impressive power output. If you add another amp to a 4 channel setup, you will still have to find a way to distribute the power cables to both amps. Are you thinking of using a distribution block? Of course that will work but you'll have more spaghetti to deal with.

Good luck and post up pics when you deci which way to go!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts