Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the time when opening the sun roof it wont go all the way up. The rubber seal in the back middle of the glass is slightly coming off. It hits the lip and stops the opening process.

What kind of glue to use to put the seal back on glass?

I managed to get it back in place enough to close it all the way so it wont leak but I want to use it this fall. Its the best sun roof time of the year.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited. White, Sunroof, 2.5, CVT. Bought 2/15/11. Love it! Broke 109K, 2/20.
452 Posts
Nothing specific although maybe Gorilla Glue might work. Try contacting a local glass shop and see what they use?

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,810 Posts
I had a similar thing happen on a previous car.
I used Permatex clear adhesive silicone. I had to make sure everything was cleaned well and used tape to hold the weatherstrip in place as the adhesive dried.
It worked for me.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium (The Superoo), Graphite Gray Metallic, CVT, Yoko Geolandar G015 AT 225/65R-17
236 Posts
Once you get the seal fixed back in place, keep it slippery with a spray silicone lube. I probably do it every 2-3 months. Especially if you leave yours vented while parked like I do at work, the gasket and the sheet metal around the opening is exposed to dust, pollen and other stuff in the air just like the rest of the car's exterior. Over time I guess it's just enough to cause the panel to bind when trying to open. Wiping it down with a damp rag and then a rag sprayed with the silicone lube gets it back to opening very smoothly. Make sure you do this all the way around the glass, but especially the backside where it pulls down to slide under the roof.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited. White, Sunroof, 2.5, CVT. Bought 2/15/11. Love it! Broke 109K, 2/20.
452 Posts
I discovered something on my sunroof today. In the past, and i'm talking almost since new, as well as in the last few days, there have been times the roof will only do the drop to open, but not the slide part. I looked at it today and I "think" it's a clearance issue between the roof of the car and the slider itself. But as I am typing I am also realizing that I believe the roof DROPS but won't slide and that shouldn't be a clearance problem. However when it does stick some times it seems to break loose with a sound of something tight breaking free. I think I'll look again tomorrow if I get a chance. And I guess I should give a look when it actually does it instead of trying to replicate it and just assume what is or isn't happening. When it works correctly it works fine and often works for months on end. We don't open the sliding part much, just the raised back end function so I have no real accurate historic timeline to go from.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts