Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night this wire rusted and fell down while I was changing high beam bulb. A tiny spring fell in the floor from the circled bolt. The wire comes through my firewall and runs up past the batter and connected to the bottom of that bolt. That bolt makes connection with the hood. What is it for...because this morning as I accelerate my power cuts out intermittently...I didn't wrap the wire off so I'm thinking it's connecting to metal somewhere shorting out?? Anyway, I want to fix it but I cannot find any photos of what that wire is for? I though a ground but now it seems like if I had a under the hood bulb it would be for that. Just FYI, I have no warning lights on, my remote start works as does the horn and after market backup camera.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
2,204 Posts
That does not look like factory wiring.
It does look like it could have been a contact switch like you wrote. Could be for an old school alarm hood sensor?

·
Registered
19,633 Posts
That might be some wires going to a joint ground joint connector.

Beginning with 2010 Subaru used "joint connectors" as grounding points. The connector itself is screwed/bolted to ground, and various circuit ground wires come to the connector where they are attached to the connector with bllade connectors. There's one of these joint connectors, B478, in that left front area.

The ground connector B478 is shown in the wiring diagrams as:

Product Rectangle Slope Font Line

In an earlier case traced to a joint ground connector, @seagrass provided background the connector; see post #11 of Outback 2017 2.5 Radiator Cooling Fans Not Working.

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,968 Posts
That does not look like factory wiring.
Agreed, this is NOT factory wiring.

It appears to have been some kind of "hood closed" sensor. (Based on its location ontop of an adjustable-height bolt.)

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium (sold Jan 22)
3,171 Posts
Definitely not a common ground connection and I am also going to suggest it is a contact switch which is open circuit when the hood is closed.

Tape it off and see what happens.

Seagrass

1 - 5 of 5 Posts