Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so i currently own a 2011 outback with 52k on her and have been debating on switching to a 2015+ model outback, I like my outback currently however i love the way the 5th generation outback looks and i hear the gas mileage is much better. I also have been debating the switch because of the problems with the 4th generation outbacks and their cvt transmissions. What are some other reason i should make the switch to the newer outback? Also what are some of the reasons i should keep my current outback. Thanks for the help guys

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,324 Posts
beware the cvt problems existed into US spec 2015s although it is possible to find a 2015 with whole factory reman trans in it now.
________

eyesight gets smarter / more feature packed as time goes by.
(read about those changes on cars101.com,...each page has a "whats new" for this year on it).

_____

2015s glut dealers.

I would go and test drive things at your leisure, and ask about 2016s:
such maybe trickling back now. with the bulk of the 3 year leases appearing back around august / sept.

·
Registered
2012 OB 2.5 Premium & 2017 OB 2.5 Premium
6 Posts
I have a gen 4 (‘12) and a gen 5 (‘17), both primiums. I love them both. The ‘17 has 20k miles and the ‘12 has 160k.

The ‘17 basic maintenance is so much easier than the ‘12. Headlight bulb change is easier since you don’t have to go into the wheel well to change it. Oil change is easier since the filter is on the top of the engine, not on the bottom in the middle of the header.

The ‘17 is quieter and has a much re refined ride. The center console has a better layout. The usb and aux ports are located under the center stack. It’s just minor things, but they add up to a better car.

The ‘12 is still my favorite because it’s the kayak carrying beast and dog transporter. Its past the don’t park near anyone stage. But we have had our major issues - head gasket and trans flow valve body went in the past year.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx Edition XT
1,933 Posts
Your signature suggests you have a 2.5i, so I will suggest looking for a 17 or newer Outback if you want to go Gen5. Subaru has been improving the tuning on the CVT every year, and the 18's are excellent, though I'm not sure you want to go that new or not.

There's going to be a remodeling year in 2020, so if you wanted the 3.6R you should act soon.

The 18's also have CarPlay/Android Auto, which I suggest to everyone I speak with about Subaru. The retail value in private sale will usually make it worth it. This is a feature that will be ubiquitous - think of Bluetooth, now - and if you don't have it, it could potentially kill a sale opportunity.

I'm planning for the 2019 3.6, though I am going back-and-forth a little about grabbing an Ascent, instead.

For what it's worth, your concerns about the CVT are covered under extended warranty assuming you're in the US. They'll cover you for 10 years or 100,000 miles - sounds like it'll be time instead of miles for you.

·
Registered
02 OBW 2.5 and 2012 OBW 2.5
63 Posts
i bought a 12 because i wanted the belt motor. I do prefer the 13- look but i was happy to get a cypress green low mile cpo car

1 - 5 of 5 Posts