Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited (Venetian Red)
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Includes CPO and 7yr/100k classic plan.

They are also charging the following:
- Documentation fee: $168 (explanation: fee for doing TTL).
- Deputy fee: $5.
- Inspection fee: $39.
- Inventory tax: $55.

They gave the option to exclude the doc fee if my brother (purchaser) did the TTL himself. He's in Louisiana and the tax rates differ.

Opinions on the base price and also the fees please.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Sounds like a pretty decent deal to me, esp with the extended warranty included which IIRC is worth about $1400.

·
Registered
234 Posts
2012 Subaru Outback Certified Used Wagon in Baltimore Maryland | 4S4BRBLC5C3210916

I traded my 2012 in for a 2013. They gave me $22,500 in trade against 11% off of MSRP.
In our state we pay tax on the difference of selling price less trade. So I would have had to sell my trade for $1,400 more just to break even. All I can say is that my old 2012 was flawless, not a single nick anyplace thanks to the Venture shield. Zero problems

·
Registered
12' Outback 2.5i premium
36 Posts
i say thats a pretty decent deal as well, especially since its a limited with low miles, I say do it!

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited (Venetian Red)
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 7yr/100k classic may be included or it may just be the CPO which includes the 7yr/100k power train warranty.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
Verify the paper, IIRC (factory) CPO carries the Classic, which has the 7/100 Powertrain.
24.8K is decent (I see 24.2K), but do the GovCo paperwork regardless, you’ll have to do that anyway at some point.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback Premium | 2007 Outback 2.5i
342 Posts
Check with your local department of motor vehicle office if this is an out of state purchase - sort of implied in your "my brother is Louisiana" statement, unless you are just posting this in trying to research the value.

In any case, the TTL can be avoided - do a dollar to dollar comparison on doing it yourself. Sometimes it is more convenient for the dealer to do it - if it is same state. If it being bought in one state and then licensed in another - absolutely avoid this charge completely.

Even if this is the baseline 2.5i Limited (no other options like Nav or premium wheels, etc.) that is a really good price being CPO. I'd want to see the car fax report and make sure you ask for service records. Now, on that, the dealer can only provide documentation that THEY have done. So if it is a local Subaru dealership then you could get a complete history. If they bought it at an auction (at that price I would suspect they did not), it is not a local previous owner, or the previous owner did all the maintenance elsewhere, then at least you will get what the dealer had to do to make it sale ready.

This is very important - get the maintenance record in hand before you agree to a price. You want to know what the dealer had to do to get the vehicle ready.

Example
Last December I bought an 07 Outback and the service depart had 10 things they wanted to do (that is how it works; sales take a trade in, tells service department to fix'er up, the service dept says here is what it takes, and sales says do half of them - that's why they don't like each other - don't get me started on how/why parts depts aren't liked either (love dealership dynamics). Anyway, I got my report and I saw 8 of 10 things done and ask the salesman why they didn't do it all and then used that to negotiate the price down.

Anyway, that's an awful good price so I would be suspicious of something - not to say there is something wrong, but I would ask ALOT of questions about the maintenance records and the car fax.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
The 7yr/100k classic may be included or it may just be the
CPO which includes the 7yr/100k power train warranty.
The "7yr/100k classic" is one of two optional (extra cost) upgrades/extensions to the
standard 7yr/100k powertrain-only coverage included with the basic CPO. Since the
car has only 15k on it now (leaving 21k remaining on the 3/36 new car warranty),
the CPO + "Classsic" could be better warranty protection than a brand new 2013.
No major repair wurries for another 6-ish years/85,000 miles.

Subaru Certified Pre-owned

Option 1
7 year or 100,000 Miles CPO "Classic" Wrap-around plan with Roadside Assistance

Classic plans cover nearly 1000 parts in all major component areas, including engine,
transmission, drivetrains, front suspension, steering, brakes, electrical, cooling and
fuel systems and air conditioning. Also provides towing and rental car reimbursement
for covered repairs.

Option 2
7 year or 100,000 Miles CPO "Gold Plus" Wrap around plan with Roadside Assistance

Gold Plus plans include all Classic plan coverage plus hundreds more parts. In fact they
provide essentially the same "bumper-to-bumper" coverage as the basic factory warranty.
Only a few maintenance items and body parts are not covered. The Gold Plus plan also
reimburses for lodging and meals when a breakdown interrupts your out-of-town travel,
and includes road hazard tire protection, computerized trip routing, dealer locator service
and travel assistance.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i
114 Posts
The 2014's will be out in 2-3 months. You are buying a 2 yr old car from a depreciation standpoint. I'm not sure how the 2012 is optioned, but we paid just over $28K for a 2013 limited with moonroof, remote start, and a few other items earlier in the 2013 model year. A 2013 base limited would be around $26-26.5.

It seems to me you would be better off getting a '14 and then deciding if you want the extended warranty after a few years. Depending on how the '12 is optioned, you are only seeing 10-15% depreciation on a 2 yr old car. For that small an amount, why bother with a used one?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts