Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 2.5 OB with 104900 miles and planned to change the timing belt last week but an emergency took priority. over the belt. The car has been maintained by the dealer as scheduled. My next opportunity is in two weeks which by then it will have over 105000 which is when it should get done. Does anyone know if there is safety factor built in to the maintenance schedule of the timing belt? Thanks

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,302 Posts
ticking time bomb.

105,000 miles or 105 months, is just a arbitrary #.

when may it go off,...now or in 20,000 more miles. No one can tell specifically.

______

and get a timing belt kit. not just a belt. (some dealers just change the belt and the other components fail within 30,000 miles, popping the new belt )

if dealers do the work maybe call around to 3-5 of them and get a couple prices for KITS.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Does anyone know if there is safety factor built in to the maintenance schedule of the timing belt?
yes and no.
1. Yes - the belts are very robust and rarely will break even before 150,000 miles.
2. No - there's no way to guarantee 100% a mechanical part won't fail.
3. No - while the belt is robust - the belt itself is of almost no concern. It's usually a pulley that fails and makes the belt fail. Particularly the lower toothed pulley.

I have a 2008 right now with original belt and 110,000 miles, not worried about it at all. I'll get to it in the coming weeks.

Get an AISIN kit and replace the belt and all the timing belt pulleys and tensioner. If properly done the tensioners don't really fail, but everything else should be replaced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the answers. I did get the Aisin kit and OEM thermostat and all the tools I will need and was ready to do it but an emergency came up. I will have to do it in a couple of weeks. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,306 Posts
I think we tend to assume that there's a lot more science and analysis back of this particular mileage and time interval than what there really is.

Fact is, there isn't. Manufacturers design these things to last a long time between service so that customers won't complain about the expense, but once they attain that goal, there's not a lot of incentive to think about it harder, do extensive failure modelling and analysis, and do long term testing. There's also no incentive to keep the customer out of their service shops. Timing belt replacement is a service usually sold to the customer, not paid by Subaru, and the numbers they pick to list in the service schedule are part science, part marketing, part service organization full employment act, and part profit oriented.

Case in point: My 2008 2.5i Outback has the same timing belt interval listed as yours - 105k miles / 105 months - but our same car built in the same Lafayette plant but sold just over the border in BC Canada has 96,000 km (~60k miles) listed:

https://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?WebSiteID=282&WebPageID=18541

And if emissions happen to be involved, then there's political angle to all of this as well. My 2008 specs 60k miles on spark plugs, because, well, the US government says that it has to go that long. Our same Canadian model car? 24k km (~15k miles).

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,676 Posts
When you do change the timing belt...also change all the idlers, belt tensioner and since they’re in there...do the thermostat too. They are all timing related parts that can also go between belt changes (tick, tick, tick...). Some people also change the water pump out too. I did all but the water pump when I had ours done in the spring. I assume all these are in the kit....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I changed the timing belt and it went well. The water pump was a little challenging since the gasket kept jumping off the pump and it is a tight fit but I am good for another 100K miles

1 - 7 of 7 Posts