Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2016 outback premium
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it really neccesary to torque drain pan plug after oil change? and what is the number to torque? 2012 2.5 4 cyl

·
Registered
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
Put a new crush washer on the drain plug, tighten until you feel resistance, then go a little further. You want the washer to compress to make a good seal.

There is NO stress of any kind on that bolt. It ain't going to unscrew itself..... I never use a torque wrench on any drain plugs.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
2016 outback premium
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for reply

Thanks John thats what I have always done. Kinda second guessing myself. Just wondering how important if any to torgue to setting which Im quite sure is 33 ft lbs give or take 1 or 2.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Premium Ruby Red Pearl 2.5 CVT AWP
402 Posts
put on a Fumoto valve and be done with it. I have had one on my last 4 vehicles with not one problem.

·
Registered
2016 outback premium
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks great idea

do you have short or long nipple type for attaching drain hose or just the plain also do i need the safety clip so it does not open in off road excursions

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,305 Posts
I have the plain type on Kaylee. The factory splashguard covers it, so I don't use the clip. If I didn't have the guard I'd put one on for safety (well worth the extra buck).

·
Registered
2012 Outback Premium Ruby Red Pearl 2.5 CVT AWP
402 Posts
I have the plain ione/no nipple as well. Although I also have the reg nipple type which I have not installed yet. Considered the short nipple but didn't like the plastic adapter supplied with iot as I figure it will at some point break...
But...I love the Fumoto!

·
Registered
2016 outback premium
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Guys Great Stuff !

No under guard, I better go wth no nipple and yes for a buck get the safety clip

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,822 Posts
if you get a fumoto valve the threads must be machined before you put it on. otherwise you will not drain all the oil. i use a magnetic plug. dont worry about torquing it, and the filter should only be hand tight.

·
Registered
2016 outback premium
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
good idea

what brand do you use ? GREDDY im looking at DIMPLE m20x 1.5 OR IS IT M16X1.5 is this the correct size for 2012 outback 2.5 i Do you use there washer or the Subaru oem crush washer, I would use the oem crush washer so no leaks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts