Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to have my 2011 repaired due to an inattentive idiot. The major parts are done and satisfactory, just some REAL nitpicky things left that the shop is finalizing (once the parts arrive from Indiana but I'm driving the vehicle for now). One of the things they DON'T know about, that I discovered this weekend, is pictured in the attachments. The original floorpan was NOT this way, it was solid across (crumpled pic attached also). Was this a design change for 2012/2013 (that it's open like this), or is it a serious concern? I can see it being a rust trap in the NY winters. Yes, I realize it's not EXACTLY like before (black instead of that green primer color) but as long as it's protected (not bare metal) I'm happy.

I hope to be back in the shop for the final stuff ("outpatient", support brackets for the rear of the load floor) in the next couple days, thanks for any quick responses. Worst-case, a rubber grommet, like those already there in other locations, should be sufficient, right? I'd rather avoid a day in the shop.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
Are you referring to the hole in the center? I looks like you are just missing some sort of plug that goes there. If you look at your crumpled pic you will see the plug which is partially covered by some sort of black rubber coating covering the rear half of the well. The front half is uncaoted and green. Same as my 2013.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that's the part I'm referring to. I wonder if it's just a plug that can be pressed in then? I looked at the diagrams on SOP.com and found the missing brackets but I don't see this plug on the diagrams.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
My 2013 has it so I don't think it is some sort of design change. Do they still have your old parts? Maybe they can just pop the plug off and put it in the new one and spray a similiar coating on. The coating and plug is pretty obvious in your one pic.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the plug will just "pop out" I doubt it needs the coating. Can you tell if yours is metal or rubber? They do NOT have the old parts, that's why they had to order a couple from Indiana, that I'm currently waiting for.

Thanks again for the info. I thought this place was one of the best in the area but my experience has made me feel like it was amateur hour when they were working on my OB.

I've always responded to people saying their car isn't the same after having repairs done and said it all depends on the shop. That may still be the case, but I've also never had repairs done that required as much of the interior be pulled apart as had to be done this time. New squeaks are also appearing...

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
It's rubber. Heavily covered with that black coating.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome, thanks. Guess I'll see if they have ANY solid rubber grommet to put in there, as long as it fits it doesn't HAVE to be a Subaru part...

Thanks again, LOVE communities like this, especially when you get a quick answer like this.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I talked to the shop (I swear, my nickname with them must be "bad penny" because I keep turning up), they're looking into getting the plug and will let me know when everything is in.

This is just the last (hopefully) in a list of things that forced me to leave it with them the first time they said it was "ready". Once they resolve these 2 issues, they did a nice job overall, even if it took a little longer and a couple extra trips to the place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts