Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago I noticed that whenever I used the heat I was getting an awful smell in the cabin of the car. :| I took it to a local mechanic who said the engine was leaking from the head gasket as well as a few other areas. Fast forward to last week when I had the car repaired a dealer. Subaru of America paid for 1k for the headgasket replacement as my car has only 70k miles. The total bill was 4,300. I wasn't super excited about this. This will be my forth Subaru and each have had similar maintenance arcs. This is my second that required a head gasket.

As soon as I got it back I noticed that it was leaking oil and coolant. Additionally, there is a pronounced coolant smell from front end of the car after being driven. It doesn't appear to be leaking any more from the heads, but is it leaking from multiple other places. This morning the add oil light went on and I had to add about a quart.

Has any one else had bad experiences after having the HG replaced. I'm ready for the dealership to say the some leaking is normal or the leaks are just residual oil from when the engine was repaired. But I am confident it isnt.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Sounds like it's possible it was mis-diagnosed the first time and maybe the headgaskets were just fine to begin with?

Oil cooler coolant supply hose?
Radiator?

Proper diagnosis is necessary - if it's leaking then find out where.

The engine had to come out for them to do this work so the most likely leak points would be related to the head gasket work. Radiator hoses, heater core hoses. Dealer work should have a 12,000 mile/12 month warranty.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. The biggest leak seems to at the back where the engine connects to the transmissions. There is a steady stream. The next worse is from the water pump.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had a 1998 Outback. Head gasket went at 120k miles and cost me $2400. Now my 2009 Legacy's head gasket crapped out at 107k miles. Dealer quoted $2100. I wish I understood why people rave about Subaru engineering. Every Subaru engineer involved with their engines should be embarrassed and have their engineering merit badge revoked. Had a Toyota Celica years ago and the clutch lasted 180k miles. Bye bye Subaru. Too bad. I liked the Crosstrek.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts