Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just looking for some expert advice on maintience. I am preparing to move from my current job placement in CA to FL which is about a 2700 mile road trip. My 2012 3.6R outback just hit 140k miles the other week. Since I have owned it I have already had all four shocks and struts replaced and the front lower control arms.

I was thinking that the timing belt would need changed before the trip, but low and behold I found out that the H6 models all have chains. Just wondering if there are any other large maintience jobs I should be considering before taking off. I am a first time Subaru owner and have had my vehicle for less than a year.

I am driving alone and plan to do the entire trip in 3-4 days so I just want to be prepared.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2013 3.6R limited. 2006 Wrx Limited
211 Posts
Hi all,

Just looking for some expert advice on maintience. I am preparing to move from my current job placement in CA to FL which is about a 2700 mile road trip. My 2012 3.6R outback just hit 140k miles the other week. Since I have owned it I have already had all four shocks and struts replaced and the front lower control arms.

I was thinking that the timing belt would need changed before the trip, but low and behold I found out that the H6 models all have chains. Just wondering if there are any other large maintience jobs I should be considering before taking off. I am a first time Subaru owner and have had my vehicle for less than a year.

I am driving alone and plan to do the entire trip in 3-4 days so I just want to be prepared.

Thanks!
Think of things that will leave you stranded. Tires, spare tire, drive belts, hoses and fluid levels.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Think of things that will leave you stranded. Tires, spare tire, drive belts, hoses and fluid levels.
I have a spare and always carry extra oil/fluids. I was more concerned if there was any parts that are regularly maintience at or above 140k miles for my year/make vehicle that I had not considered.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a spare and always carry extra oil/fluids. I was more concerned if there was any parts that are regularly maintience at or above 140k miles for my year/make vehicle that I had not considered.
I always carry fuses and some basic tools. A reliable spare is often overlooked. Jumper cables and an air pump.

Books-on-tape?
:)

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i
3,086 Posts
as long as you have been doing maintenance and inspecting the underside regularly you should not worry... if something happens it is most likely going to be catestrophic so I would have the means to get a rental if needed.

·
Registered
Outback Wagon, 2004, H6 3.0
268 Posts
Yeah! Best thing to do is to be AAA member or something for free road assistance. Hope for the best , prepare for the worst. Then different generations of Outback have specific problems. My car's weak spot - serpentine belt pulley and tensioner. I think goes out about every 100K. So this is kind of stuff I would check & replace in advance. Other must check items - condition of wiper blades and brake pads and all fluid levels. Altho fluids one can get at any gas station. But I prefer very specific wiper blades for instance. It really sucks to get stuck in a dowpour with flapping wiper blades.

I take my car on about 3K round trips about twice a year.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,276 Posts
If you were going to be towing for that 2700 mile trip, if you haven't already done so in the past 100k miles, a change of transmission fluid, front and rear differential fluids, brake fluid would be prudent, and for the transmission, OEM fluid or Idemitsu HP designed specifically for Subaru transmissions. ATF-HP has higher viscosity than popular "universal" ATF like Valvoline Maxlife.

Reactions: 1werd

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you were going to be towing for that 2700 mile trip, if you haven't already done so in the past 100k miles, a change of transmission fluid, front and rear differential fluids, brake fluid would be prudent, and for the transmission, OEM fluid or Idemitsu HP designed specifically for Subaru transmissions. ATF-HP has higher viscosity than popular "universal" ATF like Valvoline Maxlife.

View attachment 511895
Thank you! This is the type of info I was looking for. I forgot to mention I did have the transmission fluid flushed when I first bought the car and took it in for some TSBs and recall servicing. I will take a look at this - greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you! This is the type of info I was looking for. I forgot to mention I did have the transmission fluid flushed when I first bought the car and took it in for some TSBs and recall servicing. I will take a look at this - greatly appreciated.
Oh also, no towing, but I do have an XXL hard top Thule rack that definitely added some extra weight and changed the way the vehicle handled when I moved out here a few months back.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I am assuming you are going to take into a shop to get the vehicle serviced and inspected before you leave... It wouldn't hurt to get 2 different sets of eyes on your vehicle and compare their findings/inspections/recommendations. Example: take it to Subaru to do an oil & filter change, they'll probably give you a laundry list of things that need to get done due to your high mileage. Then take it to a national chain such as Firestone, I believe they offer a cheap overall vehicle inspection for like $20. I definitely suggest telling your service advisor that you plan on driving cross country. Whenever a client tells me they are driving on a road trip or cross country, I always relay that info to my techs so they do their due diligence and take the time to properly inspect any potential safety related issues.

Considering it's already 90-100 degrees in some parts of your route, I would get the cooling system pressure tested.. Consider doing the water pump, thermostat, hoses, etc due to age of the vehicle if they haven't been done yet.

As mentioned above, AAA is a good investment. I opt for the gold membership that allows 2 100+ mile tows.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,276 Posts
I like the idea of a second opinion but beware of dealerships and large chain service centers that may have a policy of recommending unnecessary repairs - service advisors work on commission and may want you to do unnecessary stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts