Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just got our new to us 2012 outback 3.6R with 86K on the clock and It's coming up to service time / i'd like to get it done then i know it's been done service time.
Just wanted to double check with you all what needs to be done at this interval.
I can do: Oil and filter, cabin filter, engine air filter, PCV valve replacement, Transmission fluid drain and fill, serpentine belt change and diff front and rear drain and fill.
I will get our independant to: brake fluid flush, coolant flush, spark plugs?

Is there anything i have missed?
Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
13,779 Posts
Welcome to the gang. The 3.6 is an animal of an engine. I like the way it growls when you get on it. 😁

If you are going to replace the PCV valve, you may also want to have the hose that runs from the valve to the intake. It tends to split when you attempt to remove it from the valve. You'll only find it from the dealer as it's molded to fit.

If you are going to swap the coolant, you may as well do the thermostat. Either get it from the dealer, or you can get a Beck Arnley or Mahle from Rock Auto. Also a good time to check that the coolant hoses and heater hoses are not rotted from within. A hose can appear good until you remove it and look inside.

Before you change the oil, look at the oil cooler for signs of a leaking gasket. The gasket for the cooler can be purchased just about anywhere if it's needed. At this mileage, if it's not leaking now, it's a good idea to check for leaks prior to each oil change so you can have the gasket handy at the oil change.

Upper combustion cleaning would be good maintenance. Search on here for Sea Foam drip feed. I believe there's a few threads on it.

Clean the throttle body. Use B12 Chemtool spray, or similar, and a soft bristle brush to remove the oil deposit build up from the body and plate.

Clean up all your ground lugs and make sure the grounds are good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys, as above, looking do do my front and rear diff fluid change.
I found the front diff crush washer part no 803926090 (1 req), but am struggling to find the rear diff crush washer part no. I thought it was 803918060 (2 req) but subparts says no go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That explains my confusion then!
How come they have a crush washer on the front diff plug, but not on the rear diff plugs?

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
13,779 Posts
The front diff is a LARGE drain bolt that has a hex head. It's filled via the dipstick. The rear diff is just a "regular" diff plug and has a similar fill plug.

You'll need about 3 quarts to do both diffs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts