Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently the backup camera display in the RV mirror has become bright with little contrast, making it mostly useless. I was wondering whether there is an adjustment I can make. Perhaps there is a hidden menu to adjust the display's brightness and contrast?

2012 Outback 2.5i Limited without Nav

Thanks, Gary

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
717 Posts
Red2012OutBack,

A search of the 2012 FSM (factory service manual) section shows the diagnostic steps to correct rear backup camera situations. It shows you how to put the system into Service Tech Mode in order to correct various parameters. Whether the Mode permits fixing your issue remains to be seen. Be aware that each step refers to another section of that manual that explains in detail how to perform whatever, so you'll end up flipping through the manual to find those sections (there are 6237 pages to the manual).

If you need to dig the camera out for replacement, all of those trim pull out sections are also in the manual, but you'll need to search for them under "tailgate" or similar.

The FSM is a free download of 500mb or so, so download it all and fix whatever grabs your fancy in the future. Be aware that the FSM shows all engines and all tranny's ... so make sure you are researching the correct one for your car, etc.

Here's the link, find your model, find your year, and download the larger of the two files. Ten minutes later .. do your homework!

Gene

Index of /Auto/Japan/Subaru/Legacy_Outback

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gene,

Thanks for the comeback and link to the FSM. Upon review of the manual, I don’t see any information wrt adjusting the display in the review mirror.

In the Entertainment ET section, subparagraph 2 Audio System on page ET-3 gives directions for entering a Systems Diagnostics Menu where it “might” lead to a lower menu that could possibly help with adjusting the display. However, when following the directions, “40 clicks on the Volume know while depressing the preset 1 key”, does nothing on my car.

Then in subparagraph 14 Review Camera Subsystem, page ET-45, the discussion deals with removal of the camera and display calibration steps for cars with Navigation. There are no instructions for settings for Review Mirror models, except to perform a calibration which is for the magnetic compass setup.

So I’m not sure I can do anything with the FSM in my case. Thanks again.

Gary

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
717 Posts
Red2012OutBack,

You are correct, but ... now you can have the dealership diagnose the actual issue, ... either the mirror is bad or the camera is bad, ... and then you can purchase the defective part yourself and replace those items yourself (or get them out of a wrecking yard), saving you some money by having the dealership do it.

Its your call.

But I'll bet that manual will save you lots of bucks in the future!

Gene

1 - 5 of 5 Posts