Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is just our car or something with all of the 4th gens, but when we shift to reverse at night our backup camera in the rearview mirror looks horrible. It's super grainy and seems to have a ton of glare. The glare issue also comes up when it's wet out which is pretty common up here in Seattle. It's almost unusable. Anyone else experience this or have a fix?

It's my wife's car which we rarely use at night, but now that it's winter we're running into this more often as it's getting dark sooner. Our backup camera in the Honda has a simialr rearview mirror setup, but there video still looks fine day or night, rain or shine.

·
Registered
766 Posts
No, I haven't experienced this problem, but I have the large backup monitor in the center of the dash (combined with the Nav system and the audio system), so that may explain some of the difference.

In fact, one of the things that immediately impressed me was that the system apparently has the ability to amplify the available light coming into the camera at night. When I put the car in reverse, even in extremely dark conditions, I can clearly see at least 50 feet behind the car.

As to a problem when it is raining, I suggest that you try wiping off the camera lens before you get into the car. When there are rain drops on the lens, they act almost like a prism, and can cause distortion in some parts of the image.

·
Registered
147 Posts
No complaints here

I do have the bumper cover (on a 2013), which may cut down on the glare. All cameras must increase gain in the dark which adds grain... but I am pretty impressed with how well it works in the dark.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Try adding another backup light.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Must be yours. Mine works great in the dark. Pitch black in my driveway and I see just fine. Maybe have your dealer check it, but check to make sure your backup lights are working first.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, wanted to check before going and testing other Subarus at the dealer. I'll have the service department check it when I go in for the 7500 mile service and ECU reflash.

And yes, we have a bumper cover and reverse lights work. I'll try wiping the lens regularly, but usually we're backing out of a dry garage.

Upflying, do you have any suggestions for the augmentd backup light?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I'll just mirror what everyone else has said. I'm actually impressed with how well the camera works at night. Of course it gets bad when the lens gets wet, but otherwise it seems rather clear in the dark.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm not sure if this is just our car or something with all of the 4th gens, but when we shift to reverse at night our backup camera in the rearview mirror looks horrible. It's super grainy and seems to have a ton of glare. The glare issue also comes up when it's wet out which is pretty common up here in Seattle. It's almost unusable. Anyone else experience this or have a fix?

It's my wife's car which we rarely use at night, but now that it's winter we're running into this more often as it's getting dark sooner. Our backup camera in the Honda has a simialr rearview mirror setup, but there video still looks fine day or night, rain or shine.
I had the same conversation not too long ago, I recently traded in my 2011 for a 2013 with the display in the dash. A little better but not much.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/49722-q-2011-backup-camera-night.html#post476521

·
Registered
163 Posts
I agree with SeanU that it may be the bumper cover - we have one on our 2012, and no glare problems. The only hiccup we get is the occasional condensation inside the lens cover. Also, I get thrown off on occasion when I forget that the camera isn't centered and can't figure out why the image looks angled.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts

...I have noticed that it is really grainy at night and not as sharp...but it's only for backing up...not shooting a motion pic. Suits the purpose okay...could it be better? Sure. But why bother considering you only use for a few seconds...or are you the guy I saw driving down the highway in reverse last night. LOL...:29::29:

·
Registered
218 Posts
When the back-up camera's video feed is not a sharp as it used to be, the issue is likely a dirty camera lens.

Cleaning the camera's glass lens cover will clear things up, as will washing off the road grime on both back-up reverse lights for improved vision.

My dealer cleaned these items for no charge this morning using Subaru #SOA868V9130 glass cleaner. It doesn't have a lot of the extra chemicals in it (like Windex) that might degrade the camera lens.

Dealer also stated that "warm water and a very mile detergent is OK too".

·
Registered
227 Posts
I just wipe the dirt off with my finger every so often - it's meant for outdoor use - I cant imagine ever paying for a "Subaru lens cleaner" - glad you got it for free.

I haven't noticed anything off with my backup camera - I actually was impressed with its performance at night. The Only time I couldn't use it was during a heavy rain storm because the lens was wet and dirty. I just wiped the grime off with my finger and it was good as new.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
I have no problem with that camera on my 2013 OB - plenty of light, even at night. It almost looks like there is a night vision camera installed there. I am still not used to totally depend on that camera, when backing up. I prefer to look over the shoulder - I guess an old habit of mine... Also, just looking at the NAV screen still does not display cars (or people) that may be approaching your rear end from either side, especially in the parking lots, where there are cars racing to get your spot, when you are leaving!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I am still not used to totally depend on that camera, when backing up. I prefer to look over the shoulder - I guess an old habit of mine... Also, just looking at the NAV screen still does not display cars (or people) that may be approaching your rear end from either side, especially in the parking lots, where there are cars racing to get your spot, when you are leaving!
I'm with you - this is my first backup camera and I've yet to trust it. I look at it sometimes because its there but still look behind my shoulder when backing up.

The most I've used it for so far is seeing if I pulled into the garage enough to clear the door. Once the weather is nice I'm going to play with it more - maybe ask the wife to stand behind it so I can see exactly how objects appear vs how close they actually are.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
14 Participants
iainb
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing